Freak

Tears tugged at the corner of her eyes, wanting to be released. Her back lay on the bed, her legs dangling over the edge. A half-empty bottle of fire whiskey in one hand and a tear-stained letter in the other. A thousand thoughts ran through her mind. They were interrupted when a knock came from her door. She opened her mouth to say enter but words failed her.

"Lily?" The door creaked opened and peered through the crack was James. His eyes, soft and weary as his eyes reached her. She couldn't meet his gaze, she just couldn't.
He opened his mouth as if to say something but hesitated.

"Lily... do you want company" James finally asked, finding the right words. She nodded, solemnly, dragging herself to sit upwards. He stepped towards the bed and sat facing her. He pried the whiskey bottle out of her hands and placed it on the floor. He observed her tangled hair, the smudged mascara and dark purple circles around her eyes.

"You haven't slept, have you?" He asked. He caught a glimpse of her eyes; the usual light of happiness and laughter was gone. It had left since...

"Not since" Lily chocked on her own words, a sob rushing over her. James wrapped his arms around her, offering her protection. Warmth. Love. Love she needed right now. Her arms wrapped around his neck. He laid his chin on her shoulder. She needed someone right now. Lily closed her eyes as more tears ran down her face. Looking at her, James reached her face with his thumb. She didn't react or pull away when he brushed the tears from her cheek. His thumb was a brush of warmth over Lily's skin.

"I'm here Lily. I'm here" James whispered into her ear. 

"I received another letter" Her weary voice spoke. James looked at her curiously but didn't dare ask any questions.

"From Petunia" She whispered as if she read his mind.
"It's in my hand"
She fluttered her eyes open and held the letter to James. He gently took it out of her hand and began reading it, noting the dried tear marks.

F𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓀,
M𝓊𝓂 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒹𝒶𝒹 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒹𝑒𝒶𝒹 𝒷𝑒𝒸𝒶𝓊𝓈𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊! H𝑜𝓌 𝒸𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒹𝑜 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈?! N𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝒸𝑜𝓂𝑒 𝓃𝑒𝒶𝓇 𝓂𝑒 𝒶𝑔𝒶𝒾𝓃 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝒷𝓈𝑜𝓁𝓊𝓉𝑒𝓁𝓎 𝒽𝑜𝓇𝓇𝒾𝒷𝓁𝑒, 𝓂𝑜𝓃𝓈𝓉𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓀. I 𝒶𝓂 NOT 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝓈𝒾𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓇. D𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒸𝑜𝓃𝓉𝒶𝒸𝓉, 𝓌𝓇𝒾𝓉𝑒 𝑜𝓇 𝓁𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝒶𝓉 𝓂𝑒 𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝒶𝑔𝒶𝒾𝓃. I𝒻 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓌𝑒𝓇𝑒𝓃'𝓉 𝓈𝑜 𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻𝒾𝓈𝒽 𝓂𝓎 𝓅𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓈 𝓌𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝓈𝓉𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒷𝑒 𝒶𝓁𝒾𝓋𝑒.

James couldn't continue reading. It was too difficult reading someone insulting Lily. How dare Petunia write this! Lily was still apart of the Evans family. Rage ran through his veins, but that wasn't what Lily needed right now. She needed someone to stay with her through this tough journey.

"No matter how much she wishes, you are still her sister. Nothing Petunia can do will make that change. None of this is your fault, you must know that" James voice trembled. Lily glanced at him, tears started appearing in his eyes.

"I know it. But what if I don't believe it?" Her voice croaked, fresh tears rolling off her cheeks. James held her tighter than before.

"Do you believe you're a... freak?"

She fixated on him. Behind his crooked glasses were comforting but woeful eyes staring back. She bit her lip, sceptical of what to say.

"Sometimes" Lily feebly admitted. Not saying a word, James' grip tightened on Lily and started rocking her back and forth, she rested in his soft embrace. They sat, absorbing her words for minutes or hours. Lily didn't know and she didn't care. Sitting with his broad arms wrapped around her. Tears silently falling.