Kissing Technique

"Lily! Get down here! This is urgent!" James' voice bellowed from the common room. Lily emerged from her room, blanket wrapped around, hair a mess, just woken up but James still thought she looked beautiful.

"What?! What's wrong? Are you hurt?" Lily's croaky voice asked, worried.

"Sirius said our kisses were sloppy" James pouted. Lily rubbed her eyes.

"You woke me on a Sunday morning for this?"

"We need to practise our kisses!"

"Not your worst idea to get me to kiss you, your third year plan still remains the winner of failed kisses with Lily Evans" Lily grinned at the memory.

"But Lily!"

"I'm going back to bed, we can kiss later if you want" Lily groaned, stumbling back to bed, closing the door.

***

"What do you want James?". Lily was sitting on the couch, surrounded by books. James had worked in and sat next to her and had stared at her for the past five minutes.

"Well earlier, you said we could practise our kissing technique"

"What?!"

"Remember when I barged in and said Sirius said our kisses were sloppy so we needed to practise and you said we can do it later"

"I'm studying James!"

"Yeah but you can do that later"

"And we can kiss later"

"But- but-"

"Later James"

***

"James I'm fine, I really am! It happens all the time"

"But don't you see how that's worse? That you're used to it?" James snapped, pacing back and forth.

"If you don't give a shit then they go away"

"Have they gone away yet?"

"Well... not exactly"

"See! You have to stand up to them, know that it isn't okay!"

"They're not going to listen. They're going to jump the gun and start flying hexes everywhere which will end in someone getting hurt, it won't do any good!"

"And being called mudblood is good?"

"James, calm down! Please!". James heard the begging in her voice, her hand tugging his, her eyes not full of tears but not empty. The tension in his body eased up at her touch.

"I just feel so helpless when you're called that. I want to fight back. I want to make sure nothing bad happens to you" his voice was quieter now, barely above a whisper.

"We're in the middle of a war. Just be thankful I'm only being called that and nothing else is happening to me, or to you or the Marauders"

"Thanks Lils". Gently kissing her forehead.

"How about we practise our kissing technique? We haven't done that yet"

"For real?" James' eyes light up.

"Of course! Our kisses can't be sloppy!". James grinned before slowly sliding his hand up her neck, placing it on her cheek, bringing her closer. Their mouths connected and Lily took dominance, exploring every nook and cranny of James' mouth.

Ruffled hair, loose ties and shirts untucked did the two part.

"So, how was that?" Lily asked, breathing heavily.

"Amazing"

"So were you, we should show Sirius now"

"Well here's the thing, he never really said our kisses were sloppy"

Lily just stared at him, face blank from any emotion.

"Lily? You okay?"

"I would be mad but that was a damn good snog so I'm not complaining that you tricked me"

"Wait... did my ears deceive me? Did Lily Evans say I was a damn good snog?" James cupped a hand to his ear, trying to find the amazing words Lily had spoken.

"Oh shut up and kiss me" Lily muttered, pulling on his collar, bringing him back to her again.