Chapter 22 - The truth

I'm so tired of being here...

(Bruce) "Here's your food." - he slides a tray next to the bars.

(Hailey) "Really? Ham sandwich again?"

(Burce) "Just be grateful you're eating."

(Hailey) "How long have I been here?"

(Bruce) "Eight hours."

(Hailey) "The least you could do was give me a damn blanket. Or even better, a fucking mattress."

He snorts and walks out.

(Hailey) "Asshole!" - I yell after him.

I lay down on the floor, curled up in a ball.

Just kill me already...

(Noah) "What have you gotten yourself into?" - I hear his voice.

I lift my head and I see him outside of the bars, with a sad but still angry expression.

(Hailey) "What're you...?" – I stand from the ground. – "What're you doing here?"

(Noah) "No... What are you doing here?!" – he growls.

I clench my jaw and he shakes his head in disbelief.

(Noah) "Why were you following them?! Couldn't have just stayed in your house?! Away from all this?!"

(Hailey) "Away from what?"

He huffs and starts pacing from left to right while I stand from the ground.

(Hailey) "Noah-"

(Noah) "Why? Tell me, why, Hailey?" – he stops and looks at me.

(Hailey) "What?" – I ask confused.

(Noah) "Why can't you just let me protect you?" – he asks, defeated.

(Hailey) "Protect me? I don't need your protection! I need the truth! For once! Just once, Noah!"

He rubs the black stubble that is planted on his jaw and steps closer to the bars.

(Hailey) "For fuck's sake! You're always begging me for your forgiveness and you always tell me that you have a reason for leaving! Because you moved away, like twelve years ago. Because you had business to take care of! What's next?! You're going to look for aliens in Mars?!" – I hit the bars.

He just stays quiet.

(Hailey) "Noah, I'm so sick of your lies! I can't even begin to describe how I feel inside! How I want to hate you for doing this to me!" – I start crying. – "For making me feel so betrayed and for hurting me like no one has ever did! I hate you for that!"

I step back and slide down the wall, sobbing on my knees. I hear the gate opening and then his arms encircle my body.

(Hailey) "I want to hate you!" – I push him away.

(Noah) "I'm sorry." – he holds me tighter.

I try to shove him away from me but he just hugs me even tighter and soon I give up. I sob as hard as I can on his chest.

(Noah) "I'm sorry..." – he whispers.

(Hailey) "I... If you don't want me, just go away once and for all..." – I start calming down after some seconds.

(Noah) "That's not it. I promise."

(Hailey) "Then what is it?!" – I step away.

He looks at me and I can see a debate occurring on his mind.