Stop the thief!

Kind of inspired by Oliver Twist..?? Kinda??
I don't know, I just started writing and ended up with this...
Enjoy!

_______________________________________

“Amazing catch today my children” J’onn spoke proudly as he checked the treasures the kids had brought him. “especially you Kara”he added and held a bag of coins, one of the many she had taken today up to show everyone “once you guys get as good as this one we can finally get everyone some decent matrasses!” he said, earning a few excited yells back.

The kids scrambled off to do their chores or to go back on the street, kara turned to leave too when J’onn took her arm and stopped her “Kara, take your sister and buy something nice for dinner will you? I think we earned it” he smiled one of his rare smiles and threw her one of the bags. Kara catched it and smiled “Thanks J’onn! Alex come along!”

The townsquare was full of people still, despite it almost being the end of the day already. Kara loved going there, yes because there were always people she could pickpocket from but also because the loved the easy chatter and laughter of people. Alex.. well her not so much. She slumped next to Kara as they walked to the market.

“I don’t understand why he praises you so much” Alex said while she stood next to an older couple. She acted as if she was watching the cloths too while her hand slid in the mans pocket and easily took his money bag. “I’m just as good as you” she added as they walked away and showed Kara the bag to prove it.

Kara laughed “you sure are good. And he knows too Alex, it’s just that..” she paused and she opened her coat to reveal the three money bags that she had stolen in the time that Alex stole one “I’m better” she added and giggled when Alex only grew grumpier. “whatever” the older Danvers said “lets just hurry up so we can get the hell home. What were you thinking of getting anyways?”she asked

Kara shrugged “maybe some sausages? We can buy some greens too?”. Alex nodded “okay, to the butcher it is” she said as they made their way further into the market. It wasn’t very busy at the butchers’ stand so they didn’t have to wait too long to place an order. Alex nudged her side and when she glared at her sister, the latter nodded to a woman who stood not to far away from them. Kara could see a beautiful pocketwatch sticking out of the womans pocket, she smiled knowingly at Alex “you or me?” she asked. Alex made a face “she’s a swinger, you can take her” she said. Kara looked again and sure enough the woman was moving and swinging her arms on and off her side as she talked to the woman next to her, making it almost impossible to have a clear shot at taking the watch.

Challenge accepted.

Kara made it so as if she was looking at the pieces of meat the butcher had laying in his stand, inching closer to the woman slowly. When she glanced at Alex the older Danvers made 'hurry up' gestures as she held up the bag with sausages that they had bought. Slowly but surely she stood close enough to be able to grab the watch, if only this woman stopped fucking talking! Waiting for an opening took too long so she reached out into the stand and took some pouder like substance and ‘accidently’ dropped it on the woman’s dress.

The woman let out a yelp of surprise and shock “My dress!”she called out. “oh no! Ma’am I’m so sorry!”Kara said and quickly took out a cloth “let me help you with that”she said as she started wiping the womans dress. Unbeknownst to the woman she had taken the pocketwatch and skillfully put it in her cloth which she put in her own pocket. She apologized once more and turned to leave to where Alex was standing, only tob e stopped by a hand grabbing her arm.

“It will do you good to give that back” the other woman spoke. It was the woman that was talking to Kara’s 'victim' before that stopped her. She looked rich, her dress and make-up said as much, her eyes were the most beautiful green Kara had ever seen but they were also very very… angry.

“I do not know what you speak of Ma’am” Kara said weakly as she tried to get her hand free from the womans, surprisingly strong hold.

“Do I look like a fool to you?” she asked “empty your pockets, thief”

Kara looked at Alex in panic, she had never been caught before she didn’t know what to do. “run Kara” Alex called out and then everything happend at once. She yanked her arm free from the woman’s grip and ran, Alex ran in the opposite direction to distract and confuse people, the womand yelled out “Stop the thief! Police!”, and police men chased her while she looked for a way out in the busy townsquare.

Her heart pounded in her chest, her hair that had been in a neat ponytail was coming loose and flying in her face as she ran. And her feet were aching from running. Alex was long gone, she had taken a few police men with her. Kara wasn’t concerned about her, Alex knew every little hiding place in town. Kara quickly dove into an allyway and hid behind huge crates, waiting and holding her breath until the police passed the allyway. After a long while of silence she moved from behind the crates, only to stand eye to eye with the angry woman from before. She looked slightly less angry now though.. she was leaning against the wall of the ally and had a small smile on her face

“Well, I must admit you run fast” she said amusedly “You’re good, I give you that. It took me a while to realize what you were doing back at the market”. She pushed off of the wal land walked circles around a quiet Kara “You’re good. But not that good”she spoke and held up her hand that showed Kara’s cloth.

“Hey!” Kara called out and checked her pockets to find her cloth missing. “give it back, it does not belong to you!” she said, making the woman chuckle.

“You’re really lecturing me about taking something that isn’t mine?” she laughed “you have no say in this” she added “let me introduce myself” the woman said as she unwrapped the cloth “my name is Lady Lena” she said and looked at the pocketwatch “and if you don’t want the police to catch you, you  better do as i say”

_______________________________________
Let me know if you want me to continue this one!
Don't be scared to leave a comment or request!