Chapter 4 - Realizations

Your POV

Grandma and Grandpa finally returned, four days later than they promised. Sure, the whole block was sectioned off by police because of the strange robots, but they ended up forgetting about the time after I called three times with no answer.

Sheepishly, Grandma set out my favorite burger and fries combo from Wendy's on the kitchen table as a peace offering. Of course, I accepted it, because who doesn't accept free Wendy's?

"Sweetheart, we're thinking of having a movie night, just the three of us. I'm so sorry about this weekend," Grandma said. "You can pick whatever you want."

I nodded as I chowed down on my burger, the juices spilling onto the table.

She placed a napkin down to clean it up and chuckled. "Perfect. We'll get started once your grandfather wakes up from his nap.

A loud snore was heard from the other bedroom right on cue. We both laughed. For a moment, I thought my family was pretty good. A rocky start to the vacation, but still fun.

***

After movie night was over, it was pretty late. I was sitting at the small desk in my room, sketching a city skyline. I was inspired by the amazing view last night as I‌ talked to Leonardo.

Leo was something. He had an interesting background, morals to die for, and skill. But he acted just like a regular person would, minus the turtle part. I laughed to myself as I thought of his antics and nervousness.

Without realizing it, I ended up sketching Leo and me sitting on the edge of the roof together, looking out at the view. I started blushing and looked out the window at the stars and other buildings.

I wonder where he is now.

I eyed my phone on my bed and picked it up, sending Leo a text.

Me: Hey, it's Y/N.

After a moment, he responded.

Leo: Hey Y/N! Nice to hear from you!

I smiled as I‌ typed.

Me: You out in the city?

Leo: Scouting a little

Leo: What floor are you on?

I blinked, then dropped my sketchbook onto my bed and opened my window. My head tilted up towards the roof, where I‌ saw a tiny green head and an even smaller hand waving. I brought my head back in and sent him another text.

Me: 24, my window is open, I saw you ;)

It wasn't long before I heard a small thump out the window. Leo crouched on the stairs of the fire escape in front of my window with a grin. "Hey."

"Hey! On a mission?"

A dimple formed on his cheek. "Kind of. We stalked some Kraang, no sign of the Foot bots, easy night."

I raised my eyebrows. "Kraang?"

"Oh yeah, they're the aliens I was talking about." He jumped down from the stairs and landed on the metal platform.

I nodded slowly. "Oh. And the 'we' part? Are your brothers around?"

Leo scratched the back of his neck. "Well, I sent them back. I told them I'd keep an eye out for someone."

Before I could analyze what that meant, footsteps sounded behind me. My eyes widened and I‌ rushed to grip the curtains. "My grandma's coming! Hide!"‌ I‌ whisper-shouted as I drew the curtains closed. His shadow disappeared just as my grandma entered.

"Y/N?‌ Who are you talking to?"

I scrambled to grab my phone from my bed and held it up so she couldn't see the screen. "Phone call, Grandma. My friend from home."

She nodded in understanding. "Oh, I see. Tell them hello from me."‌ She turned around to leave, then looked at me again. "Are you happy here?"

Her question confused me. "Of course, Grandma."

My answer satisfied her as she nodded again and closed the door behind me. I quietly went to lock it and rushed to the window again, opening the curtains. "Okay, Leo, it's safe now."

Leo dropped down from a fire escape a floor above. "Is everything good?" He looked at me with curiosity. 

"Yeah, don't worry about it." I waved him off. "She's just being protective all of a sudden."

I could see his eyes analyzing me, thinking about something. I enjoyed the comfortable silence between us, and I couldn't help but notice his eyes again. "So, you're not from here?" he eventually asked.

"No, I'm actually from Louisiana. I'm visiting my grandparents for a few weeks," I said, bringing a chair over to the window. "Do you want to sit?"

He shook his head. "Don't worry about me."‌ He leaned against the stairs on the fire escape as I sat in the chair. "Are you going to leave the apartment to sightsee while you're here?"‌

I thought for a moment. "I'm not really sure."

"What do you mean?‌ You're basically on vacation! Have you ever been here before?"

I‌ folded my hands in my lap. "No. This is my first time. But I'm pretty much just here so my grandparents can say they had me over. They like to go out a lot."

His face contorted into one of concern. "But that's not fair to you," he started. "You should have the chance to see the city. It's really beautiful."

I smiled. "Maybe you and your brothers should show me around before I go."

Leo nodded quickly as if deciding it, an inspired smile appearing on his face. "Then it's done. I'll plan the whole thing."

Suddenly, his phone started ringing a cheesy 80's ringtone. Small spots of blush formed on his cheeks as he looked at me apologetically before answering.

"Hey. Oh, okay.‌ Yeah, I'm coming now." He hung up and looked at me. "I have to get back."

"No worries. Stop by when you get a chance, if you want,"‌ I‌ offered.

He grinned at me. "I wouldn't miss it. Bye, Y/N." And like that, he jumped off of the fire escape.

I stuck my head out the window and watched him stealthily make his way through the shadows to a manhole cover nearby and disappear. "Bye, Leo," I whispered.

After I closed the window, a warm feeling inside took me by surprise. The sketch I made of us on the roof caught my eye, and I felt my cheeks heating up.

Crap. Well, that's great.