Chapter 41 - Eavesdropping and Being Saved

Leo's POV

My T-Phone went off at 7:45. The sound jolted me out of my focus, and I stumbled right in the middle of the kata I was practicing with Splinter.

"Leonardo?" Sensei asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Uh, sorry, Sensei, I have to go get Y/N." I gathered myself and reached over to sheath my katanas from the ground. "She needed the night to herself."

Sensei hummed and stroked his beard as he thought. "I fear that she is still processing my refusal to train her."

"It's more than that. She isn't feeling confident about herself. I'm really worried, so I'm taking care of her today."

"Tell her that she is important to us, no matter what." He held his cane with both hands. "And tell her that I apologize."

I nodded, bowing quickly. "Hai, Sensei."

I stepped out of the dojo, checking the time on my phone. Not bad, I still had plenty of time to get there. At least Splinter was being reasonable about the training issue. Still, Y/N probably wanted to train anyway. And I thought it would be good for her to train more than just meditating.

As I contemplated my options, I scanned the living room as I passed by. No one else was awake. Shouldn't they be getting ready to train?

Hopefully they'll be awake by the time we get back. I just had to go get Y/N, and maybe stop off to get a couple of things for her.

When I made it over the turnstiles, I stopped at the Shellraiser and released the stealth bike from it's compartment. The perfect ride for the perfect girl.

The engine purred, it's vibrations pulsing in my chest. I pressed a button to slide the roof over my head to cover me in the daylight and was off, riding through the sewers and out into the streets. I was determined to help her, to make her see herself in a positive light. And maybe solve that training problem too.

Your POV

Thank goodness for my internal clock. I was up five minutes before eight, literally just before Leo was going to pick me up. I shot out of bed, dug around in my bag for body spray, and considered myself physically ready. I just needed to sneak into the bathroom without my grandparents noticing to brush my teeth and I would be ready.

Slowly, I unlocked the bedroom door and stuck my head out, looking around. No sign of them. It was safe to go. Something told me to take my bag with me, but I shook the idea off. They weren't around anyway, so I would definitely be able to go back to the bedroom for my bag. No worries.

I slipped into the bathroom silently and kept the light off so they wouldn't get suspicious if they passed by. With the extra toothbrush I stole from their cabinet the night before, I brushed my teeth, cleaned myself up, and got ready to leave the room. But then, I heard a voice.

"Is the shipment ready?"

Wait, was that my grandfather talking? Was he actually using his mouth to form words? I hadn't heard him talk in years! Actually, I hadn't seen him in years, so he didn't talk during the entire time I was staying with him. Nice.

I pressed my ear to the door and slowed my breathing so they wouldn't hear me.

"We'll go down to the docks tonight, check things out. Everything should be in order. I'll let them all know we're coming." That was my grandma. Weird. What were they talking about?

My hand went to the doorknob to hold it in case they came to the bathroom, but the knob was so slippery it turned the moment I put my weight on it. The door pushed open, and I jumped to the side wall before I could be seen.

"What was that?" My grandma approached the bathroom door with narrowed eyes. She was wearing some kind of metal suit or something.

My heart was pounding a million beats with each second that passed. Please don't come in, please don't come in!

Her heavy breathing filled the air as she poked her head in and looked around. She was about to turn towards me any second now...

"Come on, let's go tell them in person, have a meeting."

To my disbelief, she turned around and left the room. "Fine. But I get more of the pay cut this time."

My grandfather saved the day! I was spared! I held my breath until I heard them lock the front door and bolted out of the bathroom, retrieving my shoulder bag and pushing the window up. Come on, Leo, get here! Please!

I stuck my head out the window and looked around frantically. If my grandparents got back and saw me, I would be done for. They were up to more than I thought.

"Angel?"

His voice snapped me out of my worries. I looked to the side of the fire escape to see Leo trying to squish himself into the small shadow cast by the ladder above. "Hey."

I smiled and hopped out the window to crush him in a hug. "Thank you so much! I thought you'd never come!"

"Never come? What do you mean?" he asked, kissing my forehead quickly.

I looked up into his eyes and immediately felt safety wash over me. "You know what? Let's wait until we get home, I can tell everyone there."

A flash of concern passed over his face. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. Let's go."

We dropped down to the street, Leo holding me close to his chest as we disappeared into the shadow of the alleyway. But he kept going past the manhole cover and went to the other side of the alley.

I lightly tugged on his arm. "Leo? Where are we going?"

He just chuckled. That was it. No answer. It was light-hearted and the sound relaxed me a little. I knew there wasn't going to be anything dangerous, but I was more curious with the lack of response. Where were we going?

The morning rush of the city was a welcoming sound, except for the road rage and screaming and the insane amount of flapping pigeons. Overall, it was good. I liked the feeling of being able to observe without being seen. The shadows were a great place to be.

After passing what felt like a hundred buildings, Leo finally hoisted us onto a tall rooftop and put me down next to a huge tent. I narrowed my eyes as I stepped forward and held the edge of the strange tarp. "What is this?"

Leo giggled. I mean, full on giggled. "Lift it up!"

He's so excited I'm probably going to cry! I used both hands to pull the tarp off. And what remained made my heart melt into heaven.

A/N - Cliffhanger!! What do you think it is? What's under the tarp??

I can't believe the number of reads and how many amazing readers there are! Each and every one of you is super appreciated and I can't thank all of you enough for going on this journey with me! Every comment, vote, and read fuels me to keep writing. You're all awesome!!