Chapter 44 - Running Late

A/N - The secondhand embarrassment in this chapter is real!

Your POV

The first thing I heard was a phone alarm going off. Then a disappointed sigh.

"Thank God their clothes are on," Raph muttered.

I stretched and let my eyes adjust to the light. Where am I? There was a light pressure on my stomach. I looked over to see Leo's arm around my stomach, holding me close to him against the couch. It was so comfy, I didn't want to get up.

But the alarm kept blaring on and on. Leo stirred and grunted as he tried to sit up, letting go of me in the process. Well, that takes care of that problem.

"Good morning," he mumbled, rubbing his eyes with his big hands.

I reached over to turn off the alarm on Leo's phone and got a look at the time. Only twenty minutes to get ready for my first class! "Shoot, Leo!"

He snapped his head to the side, eyes widened in worry. "What happened, Y/N?"

There was no time to explain. I jumped off of the couch and rushed into my room, pulling out a bunch of shirts and pants from the drawers, trying to find something decent to wear. Sweatpants and a hoodie? Sure, whatever. I hastily pulled them on and slipped a generic pair of sneakers onto my feet.

Teeth! Go brush your teeth!

While I was running to the bathroom, I felt my neck itch. One hand was busy pulling the neckline of my hoodie to the side to scratch while the other was banging on the locked bathroom door. "Can you hurry up please? I'm going to be late!"

The doorknob jiggled and turned to the side. A surprised Donnie mid-brush with toothpaste foamed up around his mouth stared back at me. Pink formed across his cheeks, and he turned away to spit in the sink.

I swiped my toothbrush from the counter and squirted way too much paste onto it, but it didn't matter. To spare Donnie from any more embarrassment, I carried my brush back to my room and used the mirror on my closet door to speed through the process, holding in the paste in my mouth. He should be done in a minute, right? Then I can finish.

In the meantime, I held the brush between my lips as I packed my bag for school. Laptop, check. Earbuds, check. Textbooks, got them. Phone.

Shoot, where's my phone?

Donnie hadn't made one for me yet! I cursed myself for not reminding him and beelined back to the bathroom, hoping to catch him as he was leaving.

But I ended up colliding with someone else and spitting out my toothpaste and saliva all over them.

"Ew, gross! What the heck?" And it was Raph. Great.

"I am so sorry! Oh my god." Blue watery paste dripped down his face and shell, revealing a grimace as he heaved large breaths. He glared at me, looking me up and down as if trying to figure out why I knocked him over. "Raph, I seriously didn't mean to-"

"Just get out of my way," he snarled, pushing himself off the floor and shoving me to the side.

I swallowed hard. My heart was pounding a million miles a minute. I couldn't even remember what I was doing before I ran into him. Poor Raph.

Leo was at my side in an instant. "What happened?"

"I-I'm about-but he just-I didn't mean to hurt him..."

"Shh." He helped me up and held me to his chest. I felt a wave of calm pass over me as the gentle movements of his breathing slowly swayed my head. "Take it easy. One step at a time."