Chapter 20 - Distractions

Your POV

The grandparents were out, again, and I was doing research on the nearby community college. I was originally going to take a gap year to figure out what I wanted before I moved to New‌ York, but I‌ realized that taking a few gen ed classes wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Sitting at the desk in my room, I scrolled through the class lists on the college website and wrote down a few I was interested in on a notepad. At least one from every subject was there, even though I‌ didn't really want to take a math class. But, being more prepared than not was always a better choice.

I was about to start my application when I heard one tap, then two more on my window. Aw, it's Leo. I had left the window slightly open in case he passed by, and I‌ heard him lift it up the rest of the way and step inside.

"Hi, angel." His strong arms hugged me from behind, and I‌ turned my head to the side and reached behind me to hold him.

"Hi, handsome." I turned around in his arms and stood up to give him a quick peck on the cheek. "Are we doing nicknames now?"

Leo's hands moved down my back as he chuckled. "Well, do you want to?‌ I have a few in mind for you."

"Oh, yeah?" I asked. "And what are you thinking?"

He brushed some stray hairs out of my face. "Angel, princess, my love, you know."

"Aww." I hugged his neck. "Those are really sweet. You think I match those?"

"Every single one," he replied, holding me tight and pressing a kiss on top of my head. "I‌ protect you because you're important to me, so I can protect all of those things."

I tilted my head up to look at him. "But an angel watches over you, and I do that. Angels don't have to be protected."

"Stop, yes they do." Leo buried his face in my hair. "From all the evil stuff."

I giggled, and he moved to capture my lips in his. As he asked for entrance with his tongue, my phone started to ring.

"Aw, crap. Can I-?"

Leo waved me off. "Go get it. I'm not leaving."

I smiled at him gratefully and grabbed my phone from the desk, answering the call. "Hi, Mom." I looked down at the floor as I listened. "Yeah, things are good. It's been fun with Grandma."

When‌ I looked over at Leo, he was shaking his head with a huge grin. He knew as well as I‌ did that I was lying.

I averted my gaze to pay attention to my mom. "Wait, no, I didn't. Over a month? I hadn't realized it had been that long."

It had been a while since I was last in Louisiana. I wasn't really thinking about it that often, only on some nights in the apartment when I‌ was a little homesick. But if I was staying the night in the lair, I forgot all about home. Somehow, the underground had become my real home. With Leo.

Who, by the way, had walked up behind me to wrap his arms around my stomach and pepper small kisses all over my neck.

"Um, oh-oh yeah, Mom, yep." I‌ was struggling to keep my voice even with Leo's sweet torture. He slowly moved to kiss the front of my neck, and I‌ tilted my head back to let him continue. "Uh, let me-let me think, no. I didn't get it."

He kissed along the side of my jaw and down towards the back of my neck.

"Yeah, I can-I mean, um, if you want, yeah, I'll let you-I'll let you know I guess. Yeah. Bye." As soon as I‌ hung up, I practically threw my phone onto the desk and turned around to grab Leo's face and kiss him feverishly hard.

He dug his hands in my hair as our lips connected over and over, moving in sync perfectly and both of us trying to taste more every time. I pressed my chest against him, desperate for more contact, and he spun us around until I was pressed up against the wall.

When he finally pulled us apart, I narrowed my eyes at him while trying to catch my breath. "You were so distracting."

Leo smirked as he pulled my hands above my head. "Not as distracting as you standing two feet away." His lips collided with mine in a more teasing, quicker kiss.

I pouted when he pulled away too fast.

"Oh, don't give me that look."

He gave me tiny kisses all over my face, and I couldn't help the giggle that escaped my throat.

"Okay, okay! Can I breathe now?" I‌ asked, moving my head out of his reach.

Leo let me go and gave me space. I crossed my arms and grinned up at him. "You're something else, you know?"

I swear I saw a sparkle in his blue eyes. "So are you."

I shook my head slightly as I returned to my desk and sat down at my laptop, waking it up from its sleep. "I actually need to get something done now. No more distracting me, please."

He sat on the edge of the bed closest to me, his forearms resting on his legs. "What are you working on?"

"Community college application for this year." I‌ signed in to my account and started filling out the online forms. "There were a couple of changes I‌ had to make to my plans."

I put my finger on the classes I wrote on the notepad and selected them on the application.

"I didn't mess up anything you wanted to do, right?"

I clicked the save button and swiveled my chair around. Leo was looking at me with intense concern.

"Not at all!" I reached my hand out to lay it over his. "I had planned on taking a gap year anyway. I just thought that maybe taking a few classes would help me in the long run."

He was lost in thought, nervousness written all over his face. "What's the future going to look like? Are you going to be working somewhere and living a different life, away from the lair?‌ Away from me? Will our paths change?"

I sighed. "I honestly don't know. I'm just preparing for anything. But I'll still be around, and think of right now. We live close by, we see each other every day. I don't want to change any of that."

Our eyes locked. "You're sure you want to stay with me through everything my life comes with?"

"Positive, Leo. I know I‌ do."

He took a breath and exhaled slowly. "Okay. Go finish, I'm sorry."

I‌ swiveled my chair back around and scanned my application again. "You don't have to apologize, it's okay!" After making a few edits and clicking through all of the online fields, I‌ finally finished and downloaded my own copies of every form.

When I turned around, Leo was staring out my window. I slowly got behind him on the bed and wrapped my arms around him, laying my head on his shoulder.

He held my hands and kissed the top of my head. "Have I told you how cute you are when you're focused?"

"No, actually, you haven't."

His thumbs stroked the backs of my hands. "You have this determined look when your working on something, like nothing can get in your way. I think it's really cute."

I rested against him. "Thanks, handsome."

"You're welcome, princess."