Trouble

Peyton's POV

Around dinner time, the Avengers and I were cooking a large dinner, plus desserts. I convinced Bucky to wear the 'kiss the cook' apron and he actually gave in! He has his 'scary face' on, but I can tell he's secretly enjoying it. Since Bucky talked to me earlier, I've been feeling much better. Great even. The attack hasn't even crossed my mind because I'd rather not worry about something I cannot control.

"Uncle Tony, what's next for the potatoes?"

He glances down at my mother's recipe before yelling across the kitchen, "Cut them thin, in a circle shape, then pre-heat the oven for 450." I nod my head in thanks and he goes back to chopping up the veggies.

Bucky and Steve are preparing and cooking the steak. Wanda and Nat are cooking the chocolate pudding pies, while Sam and Clint are arguing about what movie to watch. Hooked On a Feeling, by Blue Swede is blasting through the room, thanks to F.R.I.D.A.Y. I hum along to beat, as does Tony, Clint, Sam, and Nat, having been the only ones who were "current" in the '70s.

"Okayyy, the potatoes are sliced and ready to top," I announce, reaching for the tray of toppings. I grab a handful of cheese, tossing it evenly over the potatoes in the casserole dishes. I made four pans in total, due to having two super-soldiers, plus me since it's my favorite food. Then, I sprinkled on bits of bacon before sliding the dishes into the oven. "How long, Tony?"

"Uh... half an hour."

"Okay, Thanks!" I press the set timer button, inserting thirty minutes and then pushing start. Seeing as I've got nothing to do, I'll go help Sam and Clint choose a movie. I dance over towards them.

"Hey, guys. Have you picked one yet?"

Sam glares at Clint, "No. This bozo want's to watch Hunger Games."

Clint buds in, "And he wants to watch Jurassic Park!"

"Woah, guys. Why don't we compromise with... Narnia?" They both think it over for a few seconds.

"Sure, thanks Pey," Clint replies before Sam can protest. I smile and nod in reply. Only then can I stand still and appreciate my extended family. I now realize how much people love and care about me. And I know they'd do anything to protect me, even if they can't control it.

As I'm deep in thought, I feel a firey pain cutting through the left side of my stomach. Slowly, I look down and instantly my face pales. The music is too loud for anyone to hear me talk, so I hobble over to the wall panel for the A.I.'s controls. With one hand covering my side, I lift my right arm and turn off the music. The others stare at me, wondering why I turned the music off.

"I think my new shirt is ruined..." I whisper, using what little strength I have left. The team glances at each other.

My uncle steps forward, "What do you mean Peyton?"

Supporting myself on the wall, I slowly turn around and uncover my hand. Almost instantly blood pours out, making me nauseous. All at once a chorus of, "Oh my god!" and "What the hell happened!?" was said. The team rushes forward, grabbing kitchen rags and towels to stop the bleeding. Nat, the most experienced, begins applying pressure to my bullet wound. My knees start to wobble before they gave out and I was caught in a strong pair of arms, one metal.

My uncle appeared right next to me, clutching my hand, repeating, "Stay awake, Peyton! You're gonna be okay."

I struggle to say what happened, but Wanda shushed me. I shook my head no and forced myself to say, "In the vents." By now, my strength had diminished and my vision began fading. But, not before I saw Clint, Steve, Sam, and Wanda race out of the room in pursuit of my shooter. And darkness welcomed me as my eyes drooped closed.

Author's Note: Hey guys! Sorry about this being a short chapter! I've been super busy. I will try to update as soon as I can. And after the next few chapters, I hope to write more fun and happy chapters including the whole team! In the meantime, enjoy:)