Bound In Ruins- Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Sophia

6 years later

"I don't care if these are photocopied ten times, they are not the right format. I need these reprinted, for the last time. Make sure they're right." I stated to my assistant Harper.

"Right, sorry boss. On it," She stated.

"Shit, why are these all wrong? These contracts need to be presented to the buyers immediately Monday morning. Why haven't these been finalized?" I shouted at my board members who were sitting in the meeting.

Each of them looked at me just as confused, "Never mind guys. I'll figure it out, go on and go home. Have a great weekend."

Each of them scurried away faster than a pack of mice.

Waltzing my way down to my office, I found that my chair had been occupied as I entered.

Placing my hand on my hips, the chair spun round.

"Ahem?" I stated.

"And why could I hear your footsteps from a mile away? I can feel your stress radiating from up here. Sweetheart, what's wrong?" He asked.

"Uncle Calum. Everyone is just slacking is all," I answered, sitting on my guest couch, sighing.

He placed his hands on my desk and enveloped them in one another.

"I think we both know why, Soph." He responded quietly.

Soph.

It killed me whenever he called me that.

"I know. But I don't want to think about that," I told him trying to avoid this conversation.

Standing up, he came beside me, "Don't put up the front with me, young lady. 9 years, I know today was tough."

Nodding, I didn't have much to say in response.

9 years ago today, my parents had passed away in the car accident that I had been in with them.

I was just fortunate enough to have made it out, unlike them.

Placing his hand on top of mine, I let out a small smile at his gesture.

"I'm sorry. I just can't believe it's been 9 years already." I told him truthfully.

"I know sweetheart. But they would be so proud of who you've become. Taking on James Industries right out of college a year ago, they would be ecstatic at how successful you've become." He said softly.

"I hope so," I responded.

"I know so," He corrected.

Smiling at him, I reassured him, "I'm okay. I just think I need to call it a day."

"I think so too," He winked.

"Let's go grab dinner," He said, not giving me much time to budge.

Grabbing my things, I headed out of the office and went to dinner.

At the restaurant, I knew that my uncle wanted to discuss some matters.

Opening the floor, I had started the conversation, "Is this another one of your life lectures Uncle Calum?"

He laughed, "Not this time. Actually, this is more to reiterate some important things I want to discuss with you."

Grabbing my glass of wine, I raised my eyebrow, "What's up?"

"You know I want nothing but for you to be happy," he started to say.

"I don't ever want you to feel obligated to do anything that you don't want to. Just because your parents wanting something for you, doesn't mean that its right, not if you don't want it," He added.