Bound In Ruins- Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Present Day

'Be here no later than 6 since my father is expecting you to appear to please the investors. They will like seeing that we are close to the CEO of James Industries'

The text read.

Kai had of course sent this to me as I would have an important dinner tonight.

"Hey Harper, I'm going to go over to Devereux Corp for an hour or so. Can you just stall for tonight's dinner? I shouldn't be long." I told my assistant as I gathered my belongings.

"Sure thing. I'll try my best," She replied as I made my way over to the office.

Deciding to walk as the weather had been fairly fair for it being March, I walked the 9 blocks over to Devereux Corp.

Walking on the main floor, I noticed that Kai and his father were talking loudly amongst other men.

Deciding not to intrude, I heard Kai's' father raise his voice.

"It doesn't matter what you say right now, Kaius. What I say goes. Your input is absurd and actually stupid. Don't waste another breath of yours son," He stated brushing Kai off.

I looked over at Kai who looked furious at his dad, "That's not what you said last night when we went over this, sir."

His father shot him a look, "That was before our investors looked over the plan and though it was lunatic as well. They made me realize how foolish it is. It's pathetic, come up with something better."

"Really? Because this right here sounds like a load of bullshit if you ask me." He stated angrily.

His father was laughing with the investors at Kai, causing my heart to break for him.

Rather than defend his son, he completely tore him down.

"You can do better. In fact, don't worry about this. I'll take care of this one. The investors will like my input more anyways since this is more closer to home," He stated challenging his son.

Rather than responding, Kai looked at his father in disbelief.

I decided to chime in, not wanting to see Kai be torn down any more.

"Hey, there you are." I stated putting on a big smile, trying to change the mood.

Kai looked surprised to see me, especially as I went to hug him.

"Just trust me," I whispered.

"Hi Mr. Devereux, it's a great pleasure to see you again! I hope I didn't intrude." I stated shaking his hand.

"Sophia, what a pleasure." He beamed at me.

"I'm sorry I didn't meant to interrupt. I wanted to take Kaius over here to an important finalization meeting I have tonight with prospective investors. He has such great optimism, my board are now investing double their attributions to seek out his input. His vision, it's extraordinary really." I stated looping my arm through Kai's.

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Sophia James, CEO of James Industries. Nice to meet you," I stated shaking the hands of the gentleman.

Their eyebrows shot up and immediately I got their attention.

"I'm sorry to cut this interaction so abrupt but I have some very important prospects that are awaiting our arrival. Edward, great seeing you. Hope to see you gentlemen soon." I stated, taking Kai by my hand and walking immediately outside.

"You didn't have to do that, James." He broke the silence as we were greeted by the brisk air.

"I know I didn't." I replied as I called over a taxi.