Bound In Ruins- Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Present Day

"You two know each other?" Veronica asked surprised.

I turned around to see a very amuse man who had a huge grin plastered across his face.

I felt my breath falter as he was wearing a very fitted, clean suit, staring right at me.

Biting on my bottom lip, he spoke first.

"Very briefly," He smirked.

"It was truly, a mistake actually." I added.

"A mistake?" He countered.

"Come to think of it actually, I think it was fate." He mocked coyly.

I felt my inside rage.

"And what, you've come tonight hoping that our future was secured?" He asked completely taking me off guard.

He went right for it.

"Kaius King, be kind to Sophia. That is not how we treat our guests," Edward warned.

He shook off his father's comment, "You mean my soon to be wife, right?"

Grabbing a drink from a sever nearby, he took it and immediately lifted it in the air, "Cheers." He replied before stalking off with the drink in his hand.

"Excuse him, he's a little difficult at times," His mother stated, trying to excuse her sons behavior.

I shrugged it, "Don't worry about it. Our first encounter had been just as pleasant."

That caused them all to laugh awkwardly.

I looked at his back as he was ways across the room.

"If you could excuse me," I told them as I followed him out.

He hadn't noticed me following him as he walked out of the ballroom and across the lobby where he snuck into a hall.

Waltzing my way after him, he placed a key card against the door and I made it just in time, stopping the door from shutting with my heel.

Opening it immediately, he turned around instantly.

"Come to finish what I had left off" He asked amused taking off his coat.

I laughed, "Don't flatter yourself. I only followed you to tell you how much of an arrogant asshole you are."

Unfazed, he unbuttoned his dress shirt and rolled up his sleeves, just how he had it the night we met.

He walked a foot closer to me and stared me down from head to toe.

"You clean up well, James." He stated.

"It's Sophia." I corrected.

"And I wish I could say the same," I added.

His stare should have sent me running.

In fact, I should have died in that moment from how intense he had been looking at me. But I stood my ground. He would not intimidate me. Or at least, I would not let him know or show him that he did.

"You're her," He whispered amused.

"And you're him." I stated in disbelief.

He shot me a wicked smirk, "This ought to be good."

"You're Kaius Devereux. I should have put the pieces together," I stated more puzzled. How did I not figure it out?

He pointed at me and laughed, "I go by Kai."

"And I go by Sophia," I said.

"James suits you more. And I actually tend to like it better," He replied.

"Do you normally treat everyone you meet like a sack of worthless shit?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"If you think this is me treating you like shit, well sweetheart you really are in for a ride." He stated huskily, inching closer to me.

I stared him down, hard, seeing his demeanor change as I softened my facial expression.

"And besides, you're just angry with me that I left you wanting more." He stated, whispering into my ear.

Pushing him back so that he stumbled, I spoke.

"Listen, Kai."

"I don't know what bullshit game you're trying to play, but you won't win. You can be a jackass all you want, I did nothing to you. But this agreement that-"

"The agreement that you and I had absolutely nothing a part of and absolutely no say in," he added.

I nodded.

"What about it?" He asked sternly.

"It's in motion. It's inevitable and I refuse to let you ruin it." I told him.

My game plan tonight was immediately switched the second I had realized that I was to be marrying Kaius.

Kai.

The guy from the other night.

The guy who left me more frustrated with men than ever.

Him out of all people.

"Ah so this is strictly a business transaction for you," He responded amused.

"And it isn't for you?" I replied.

Shaking his head he actually looked amused as he responded, "Sweetheart, this is nothing but business. But remember that."

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I asked confused.

"This deal is to solidify the future of both of our family lineages. The difference is, you care about fulfilling this agreement when in fact, I could care less." He smirked shooting me a wink.

"Well then if you didn't care so much, why do you bother working for your father still? Showing up tonight?" I contradicted.

His smirk instantly dropped.

"Exactly," I whispered.

"You wouldn't have shown your face tonight, had you not wanted to take over your fathers company soon. This is just a front your putting up," I added smiling.

"And this whole tough guy act, sweetheart, I can handle it. I've handled a lot worse than this." I whispered in his ear while placing my hands on his shoulders.

"Just do yourself a favor, will you?" I stated, wrapping my hands around his neck while speaking into his ear seductively.

"Try not to fall in love with me in the process," I stated before kissing his lips softly.

Immediately, I pushed away knowing he would indulge further in the kiss had I lingered a second longer.

Walking away, I turned my face to glance over my shoulder as I walked to the door and smiled.

"Sleep tight, Kai. Looks like I'll be seeing you at dinner tomorrow." I responded to see him staring at me coldly as I walked out of the room, leaving him speechless.

Looks like two could play at this game.