Chapter Five

DAHLIA left the Grill for some fresh air; afterall, she couldn't breathe with the bomb just dropped on her

    DAHLIA left the Grill for some fresh air; afterall, she couldn't breathe with the bomb just dropped on her. She walked out into the chilly night and looked down. Her eyes welled up with tears. She was feeling so much. Shock; shocked because vampire's and wolves exist. Sadness; sad because she finally got the closure she wanted, but it wasn't how she imagined it. If someone could imagine a good way to die. But most of all, she felt betrayal. She was betrayed that her mother didn't think Dahlia was important enough to tell. She finally understood all of Elaine's sneak visits to Mystic Falls. Her mothers' transaction bills, that she thought she hid, showed her credit card being used at the Grill every Wednesday. Dahlia never asked because she never asks. She never cares for others. Not even her mother. Deep down, she blamed herself for not taking action. Not asking why she wasn't home anymore, or why she was going to Mystic Falls all the time. Maybe she could've prevented it all.

Her thoughts were interrupted by someone walking up beside her. 

"Lovely weather we're having." The thick accent joked. Dahlia didn't say anything. A single tear fell down her cheek, and opened the floodgates as more tears dropped one by one. Klaus stepped closer.

"Hey." He said softly and touched her arm. Dahlia practically jumped at his touch.

"Don't...please. I'll just leave." She turned and walked away but bumped into Klaus' chest. She stepped back.

"Have your little pity party, but-"

"How can you even say that? You're such a...a monster. On the inside and out." She cried as she spoke. Klaus straightened his back, almost flattered.

"But, I'm not done speaking." He said.

"Your mother made me promise to watch you if she ever died. I agreed and I keep my word. That's why I've been following you." Dahlia stared at the moon and laughed when she heard his words.

"So that was you following me after cheer." He nodded.

"But my pact to your mother isn't the only reason why I'm watching you. Kol wants to kill everyone related to her, and you're first on his list."

"What? Why?" She gasped. She'd never had a hit out on her before, and she was understandably scared. Especially since it was the same vampire that killed her mother.

"He feels betrayed that she died after she told him they'd be together forever." He said.

"But...he killed her."

"He's crazy, my brother." He grinned. Dahlia scoffed.

"This is funny to you? I have a target on my back and you're laughing like it's some joke." Deep down, Klaus felt pity. But he despised pity more than anything, so he got rid of any remorse he felt for her right away.

"Don't cry, sweetheart." He teased and lifted her head with two fingers. Dahlia flinched but stood still and stared him in the eyes. Her wet, blue eyes made Klaus feel more pity. He saw loneliness hidden behind her eyes. His smile dropped and he moved a strand of her from her face. Her eyes bored into his and she finally gave out. She rested her head on his chest and wrapped her arms around his waist. Taken aback, Klaus simply put one hand on her back and another on the back of her head. Dahlia cried into his chest and felt her eyes grow tired. The last thing she remembered was pulling away.

Dahlia awoke the next day in a room she didn't recognize. The walls were high and painted a eggshell white colour. The king-sized bed she slept on was covered with a white veil on either side, and had 3 large pillows with a matching white comforter. The room screamed wealthy. She tried to remember where she was last night, and realized she was with Klaus. She thought Klaus kidnapped her. She lightly got off the bed and tiptoe'd to the door. She swung it open, only to be met with the blue-eyed devil waiting in the doorway. A smirk was plastered on his face.

"Good morning, love." He chirped.

"Why are you so happy? And why am I here?" She said grumpily. He ignored her question and lead her to what she assumed to be the living room. There stood a tall, suited brunette man. He turned and looked at her when she walked in. His face looked like it was hand-sculptured by the gods. His jawline was sharp and strong. His defined cheekbones set his face along with his cleft chin. His hair was slicked back.

"Hello. I'm Elijah. Klaus' older brother." He gave a kind smile as he spoke. His voice didn't need to be loud or full of tone for her to understand that he ruled authority. Dahlia knew that although he smiled, he could be sinister if he wanted. 

"I'm Dahlia." She faked a smile and he gave a slight nod of greeting. Another voice spoke from behind her.

"Well. If it isn't the girl who my brother is set to destroy." Dahlia turned and found a blonde girl sitting on the sofa. She recognized her from school.

"I'm Rebekah. But should you ever cross me, I will be your worst nightmare. Is that understood?" Dahlia saw the freckles splatted across her undereyes and temples. Her plump, pigmented lips barely moved as she spoke. Her eyes, though, held more emotion than she had seen in any of the Mikaelson's so far. She wondered if she was a vampire. Dahlia simply nodded at the girls words. She wasn't intimated by her, but she also didn't want problems with the girl.

"Are you a mute or something?" She waved her hand in her face while smirking. Dahlia narrowed her eyes at her. 

"I know you. We go to the same school..." Dahlia said.

"Do we? You're so bland, I must've not cared to know you."

"Rebekah. Must you be so insolent?" Elijah said sternly. Rebekah's smirk dropped and she rolled her eyes.

"Oh c'mon. I'd like to know who Kol's going to torture next." She slung her arms around the girls neck and pulled her closer. Dahlia pushed her arm off while glaring at her.

"Kol won't be torturing anyone." Klaus declared.

"Oh brother. Have you become a sympathizer?" Dahlia watched Klaus clench his jaw. He sped over to her and pushed her against the wall, hard. Rebekah slammed against the left side of the room and fell to the ground. She got up with a smirk.

"Don't call me that." Klaus hissed sourly. 

"Enough." Elijah's voice rung out. The blonde girl went back to her original seat. Dahlia could feel her eyes studying her as she watched Klaus speak to her.

"Dahlia, you will stay here with us until Kol leaves town." Klaus ordered. Dahlia felt her brow furrow in worry. Elijah noticed this.

"He's not here yet Dahlia." He said, his voice full of comfort and reassurance.

"Not yet." Rebekah interrupted. "He should be here on Sunday for the ball we're having." 

"So 4 days." The blonde smirked at Dahlia.

Dahlia felt a shiver run down her spine. Her deathclock just started and was counting down every second until her demise.