Chapter 8

When Love Grows (8)

After he drove me home he apologized for what Ate Kristina did. However, he didn't say anything after apologizing, he personally greeted Lola before he left at nag-usap din sila pero I went to my room to take a bath at narinig ko nalang na nagpaalam siya paalis kay Lola. Hindi ko na siya naabutan.

That was the last time I saw him, three days ago. Nabanggit din naman sa akin ni Lola noong dinner about doon sa hindi na makakapunta si Kuya Miguel, I didn't ask, she just bring up how wealthy the Padua are. Emilio Padua is the great grand father who would visit next month, his sons and daughters were all living outside the country. Ilang taon na rin daw kasing tahimik ang lugar nila dahil nasa labas sila lahat ng bansa.

The wealthy family doesn't worry to leave their properties here in the Philippines. Parang it wasn't something to put much attention and time. Lola had told me how was her relation with them. Kaibigan daw ni Lola 'yong Sanita Padua Sanchez who's now living in Manila.

Nasabi rin sa akin ni Lola na it wasn't a simple house that needs repair. It was a mansyon for heaven's sake! Kuya Miguel has really need to carry out tons of work they demand.

Dahil nga kami nalang ni Lola madalas, I sometimes practice to make pots. Pagkatapos naman nagdidilig naman ako ng halaman. Yesterday I helped her to transfer the plants just how Kuya Miguel taught me how. Kapag wala naman akong ginagawa either I watched in television or watched unfamiliar movies in my phone.

The same routine goes everyday.

Just like what I'm doing now, I'm rooting to this noontime show which isn't my usual doing. Nagluto si Lola ng kamoteng kahoy kaya 'yon ang kinakain ko dito sa sala habang nanonood. Lola was sleeping after we ate lunch.

I texted Mama but she didn't reply, the usual.

I yawned countless of times that I felt my eyelids getting heavier. Last thing I knew hindi ko na naabutan pa ang palabas after ng noontime show na 'yon.

- - -

Lola had awake me dahil dinner na. I stared outside and it was already dark. Wala na rin sa mesa 'yong kamoteng kahoy na nilapag ko kanina bago ako nakatulog.

We ate dinner with the usual fascinating stories that Lola had noong bata pa siya. She was telling me things about Mama too. She noticed that I put peppers on the side of my plate, ayoko talaga kasi ng paminta lalo na kapag aksidente ko lang nakakagat. Lola said she see no difference to Mama and me when comes to food we eat.

Lola had told me na Mama used to go to Lake where I went the last time I was with Kuya Miguel. Dahil lumaking probinsiya si Mama. She wasn't the fair skinned and busy woman she is today. Madalas daw siya sa ilog kahit tanghaling tapat. Nasesermonan pa nga raw ni Lola si Mama dahil madalas si Mama doon imbes na umuwi nang bahay. I can't imagine my Mom being the stubborn teenager she was. She would love to eat native mangoes na hindi raw talaga nawawala kapag naliligo sila doon sa ilog. I wonder if what could bring her back the things she was once doing, no urgent meetings and no conferences. I would like to see again her care free side noong dalawa palang kami at sana naman ganun din si Papa.

Imagining how I want us to be was too good to be true.

Kahit wala naman kasing masyadong pera noong kami lang ni Mama she used to take me from school tapos kakain saglit sa canteen. Minsan namamasyal kami sa playground na luma doon sa malapit sa subdivision.

I wasn't saying that Papa ruined the before happiness that I was longing. Mama was so happy to be with Papa, if what could makes Mama happy I wasn't against it. Mahal na mahal niya si Mama and that's one thing rare nowadays, Papa was such a good man to be responsible for us .