Chapter 25

When Love Grows (25)

"Lola...tutulong po ako." I was about to get the spray container but she got it first before I could even touch it.

"Hindi na. Pumasok ka na sa loob." I know she intended to not let me help her with anything because she doesn't want me around.

"Okay po..." Kung nakakamatay lang ang tingin...napatay na ako ni Lola.

I get back inside at umakyat nalang ako sa room ko. After the revelation she started losing the warmth and she's been showing this low spirit these past few days.

"La..."

"Umakyat ka na sa taas sabi. Kami lang ni Miguel ang nandito." She warned for the second time.

After an hour siguro 'yun. Alam kong nasa kwarto na si Lola. Pinuntahan ko siya dahil gusto ko lang siyang maka-usap.

"Lola..." I started and opened the door. She was sitting on the other side of the bed at nakatalikod siya.

"Bakit ka nakipag-relasyon kay Miguel?" her voice was shaking. "Ilang taon na si Miguel kumpra sa iyo, Precious!" she bursted out. Napatingin ako sa kanya ng diretso at gulat na gulat.

"I-I..." I couldn't come up with any explanation. Baka hindi lang niya magustuhan at mas lalo pa siyang sumigaw.

"Ano nalang ang sasabihin ng Papa mo pati ng Mama kapag nalaman nila na dito ka pa talaga nagkaganyan? Sa puder ko pa, Precious!"

Marami pang sinabi si Lola. Pero wala akog nasabi kasi hinayaan ko nalang siya. Sana kasi hinayaan nalang akong humarap ni Lola sa kanila ni Miguel. I wanted to be there with them. I just feel bad on how heavy the treatment he must've get from Lola. Nag-aalala ako na baka sinampal ni Lola si Miguel sa sobrang galit. I didn't hear deafening angry word downstairs it was scarier to wait in my room with the silence when you know nothing. I had concluded all the heavy situation he might experience without me who should also be responsible for it.

And I haven't talked to Miguel after that day. Hindi na ako pumunta pa sa bahay niya. I'm not that insensitive to even ask to go there.

It was also the first dinner I wasn't with Lola. She reminded me to eat because she didn't have the appetite. Kaya mag isa akong nasa lamesa. We talked and I couldn't bear to see her crying. She was mad. It disheartened her knowing I kept a secret. Sinabi niya na wala pa nga raw ako sa legal age. Ano raw ba ang ginagawa ko. Hindi raw ako nagbakasyon dito para gumawa ng hindi tama. I didn't want to hear it. I didn't want how she see it as a wrong thing.

And until now...I'm having the coldest meal with Lola. Gone are the chitchats. Nakakalungkot pero wala akong magawa. Pinasok ko 'to and I won't ever regret it. I can accept the words but I can't break my words to Miguel. Hindi 'yun wala lang. I mean what I said. What I feel isn't something I could just easily throw like a trash. Sorry, but I just can't.

Constant devastation. When will things get better? Is it too good to be true that I wouldn't have to worry having conflicts with the person I care for? Sila Mama at Papa, si Miguel at Lola. Would that be too much? I asked for acceptance and forgiveness and hindi rin naman kasi madaling ibigay 'yun.

I guess maghapon na naman akong nasa loob lang ulit ng kwarto at malabong pansinin ni Lola.

- - -

"Lola. I made turon!" she was busy with cross stitching so I thought of cooking meryenda since it's the only food I know how to cook.

"Kaininan mo na 'yan. Hindi ako gutom." She didn't even look at it.

"Lola, please have a bite. Sabihin mo sa akin kung kulang sa sugar or kung masarap." She tilted away her head when I tried moving it closer to her face.