Chapter 42

When Love Grows (42)

Mama saw the pregnancy tests in my backpack noong inaayos ni Ate Belinda 'yung mga gamit ko habang naliligo ako. She wanted to talk about it just right after our arrival but Papa insisted to not talk about it that soon sabi ni Mama.

"It was the end of our finals exam. I ate with my friends. Alam na pala nila matagal na...napapansin na nila. One of my friend bought me pregnancy tests...Two lines appeared. It was positive..." Mama caressed my face with teary eyes.

Mama and Papa wanted to know everything that happened in San Juanico. Sino iyong mga naging kaibigan ko. Kung saan ako nag-aral. Bakit electrical engineering 'yung course ko. At bakit ako nabuntis. After releasing all the pain and untold heavy feelings to them I felt so relieve.

"Did he force you?"

"No Papa. I love the guy..." I smiled sadly admitting. "He was with me every time I needed him."

"Tell me who is he."

"Miguel Alvares, Papa," I meekly said. Nagkatinginan sila ni Mama.

"Are you done with him? Alam na ba niya na nandito ka na?" Mama asked.

"Y-yeah..." I was unsure what to answer. I still love Miguel but I don't think he still feel the same towards me. "Probably, he know that I'm not there anymore. Sasabihin nalang siguro ni Tita Sally.I haven't talk to him. He doesn't know about the baby."

"Do you want him to know about this?"

I shrugged. "I think I do. Ewan ko pa."

Papa made me leaned on him. "Why are so hurt? What had he done that you're hurting like this?"

"I love him Papa. I love him but I think he's cheating on me."

"You think?"

I nodded. "Aren't you mad at him?" nagtataka ako kasi sobrang kalmado lang sila. They aren't mad like nanggagalaiti sa naririnig nila, they were calmly listening to me. Si Mama nalang talaga iyong hindi pa tapos lumuha.

Mama and Papa exchanged meaningful glances. "It's not that we're okay with what's happening anak. But we think that..." Mama held Papa's hand. "We shouldn't be keeping this to you."

I looked at their faces. I felt nervous when it feels like they were about to tell me something I needed to ready myself.

"That young man. Miguel Alvares, naging katiwala ng Lola mo hindi ba?"

Nagtataka ko silang tinitignan. "How did you know?"

"He came to our house. Nagpakilala siya. He told us about you, your life in San Juanico. Galit na galit ako na biglang may magpapakita tapos ang sasabihin niya hinihingi niya ang permiso namin ng Mama mo," Papa was shaking her head.

"He came a couple of times. Tumawag si Manang Hilda. Habang nilalamayan si Nanay nandito sa Manila iyang Miguel. Kami ng Papa mo ang hinahanap."

"He never told me about his plans na pumupunta po siya dito," I said unable to grasp.

"He told us about that too. Na wala ka ngang alam. He wanted to keep it secret. Nag-aaral ka daw. At baka magpumilat kang sumama o baka hindi mo siya papuntahin."

"During those times nak, I've seen that he wasn't the kind of man that I thought he would be. Did he really cheated?"

"I think, Ma."

"You think. Nak, hindi sa kinakampihan ko. Alam ko lang na responsable naman. We just wanted to guide you. We'll support you and take care of you. If you wanted to keep this from him then fine we'll help you keep your pregnancy."