Chapter 41

When Love Grows (41)

I saw Lola. She was walking fast and I couldn't walk fast after her.

"Lola!" why don't she wait for me?

"Lola! Sandali!" the place was congested of people and I don't know where we are. Hindi ako makalakad dahil masyadong maraming tao at hindi na ako makasiksik. Lola stopped walking. Finally she stopped! She maybe noticed that I wasn't walking with her all along.

Despite how crowded the place is our gazes met when she turned back. She was looking at me and she was smiling. "La! Wait for me!" I smiled too, and, she was waving her hand at me while she was smiling. Her waving hands slowly stopped until she continued walking that I wasn't able to see her back anymore.

"Lola!" I tried to walk kahit na maraming tao akong nababangga. Pero si Lola nakadaan naman ng mabilis so why can't I? "Lola!" where is she? I lost her!

"Lola...please..." I was crying in the midst of rowdy place.

"Anak, shhh." I felt a hands wiping my forehead. I opened my eyes, Mama and Papa was beside me. Mas lalo akong nagulat dahil sa kanilang dalawa.

"Si Lola?" I asked breathing heavily. I was looking around and yes...it hurts that it wasn't the usual four corners of my room in San Juanico. Nasa Manila na talaga ako.

"Anak, it's just a dream," Mama reached for my hands but I didn't let her touch me. "I want to go back to Lola," I weakly whispered when realization hit me that it was only a dream.

"I want to go back..." They were looking at me those sad eyes. "I want her back... I miss her so much..." As I blinked hot tears glided on my cheeks.

"Nak...please."

"Please too. Just...throw me back there...My life was there..." Mama was crying while looking at me. Papa was only standing beside her. "I'm a disgrace in this family...You can just hide me there. Hindi naman ako magrereklamo..." Pinahid ko ang luha ko.

"Let's go Helena. Let her rest. Masyado ng late. Go back to sleep, Precious."

They left my room.I opened my bedside table's drawer.

Prec

I saw the small box that Miguel had gave to me. I haven't touched the pendant. I've seen how beautiful it was so many times pero ayoko siyang suotin. I closed the drawer at ang cross stitch lang ni Lola ang kinuha ko at niyakap. It was thin piece of cloth that I was hugging.

Hindi ako gutom, pero ayokong malipasan. I went to the kitchen at kumain parin.

"Let's be healthy baby ko," I didn't feel hungry but I was eating a lot. "Bear with Mommy. I'll make sure you won't get hurt..."

"Ginutom."

"Kain Kuya." He sat in front of me at nagsalok ng tubig ko at tubig niya. "You can't sleep?"

"Hindi nga e. May ginagawa pa ako."

"Working life. So how was it with your new work?" it was the last thing he had told me on the phone call before. Noong nasa ilog pa ako noon tapos nasalubong ko si Miguel...Yeah, si Miguel. He even asked me if somebody fought me. Stop it, Precious. Stop.

"Nakasanayan na rin. Hindi nalang manubela ng sasakyan hawak ko," he laughed. "Mga makinina na."

"Ikaw? Kamusta pag-aaral mo doon?"

"Masaya po. Maganda 'yung school, mabait 'yong mga naging kaibigan ko."

Sila Mack...how I miss to see them. When Bart and Ashley mock each other. Nakaka-miss pala.