CHAPTER 34: Shit Happens

*flashback*

My phone's dead and there's no way in hell that I'm going to walk downstairs to retrieve the charger.

Heck no.

I do not feel liked dying tonight.

Besides the darkness of my bedroom is so welcoming and peaceful, a dark abyss where I'm alone to think and nearly forget about the sad existence I lead.

I really need to replace the light bulbs in here, they burst last week and they're getting on my nerves.

But hey

There's room for some imagination in this dark world right?

Maybe the stars on my low hanging ceiling can burn bright enough to kill me. Maybe I could touch them if I stretched out my arms long enough.

The wild laughter from downstairs awakes me involuntarily from my day dream.

My mom has four of her male friends over, she can't go too long without having a small get together. Sharing beers, jeering at each other, playing poker and of course sharing some weed.

Living just like animals is the most shameless way of living but it's the cheapest. A higher standard of living means a higher price to make up for it.

Besides, I'm the bread winner in this house.

I cook my own dinner, she'll be out on the town tryna spend the pocket money she hassles from me.

It's not like I do this voluntarily, I don't know why I just don't run.

Oh I know she told me why I shouldn't and I quote, 'I will hunt you down, slit your throat and gut you if you as so much as leave without my permission.'

To be honest, it's not fear driving me, it's just.

I'm so used to the reality of taking care of such a piece of horse crap.

All my life it's just been me and me taking care of her. I tell myself that she needs me but really it's me who can't survive without her.

She drives me to work hard at school so I can get the fuck out of here.

The adrenaline rushing through my veins when I have to make deals and purchase shit from dangerous people on the black market.

I'm vigilant on the streets, I work hard, I earn and I get beat up for screwing up so I won't do it again.

It makes me tough but at the same time look at life from a good perspective. She keeps me going, I don't know how long I would've lasted without her.

I have to lie on my back, it's more comfortable strangely. It hurts from scrubbing the floors and carpet trying to make the house look "new"

It's difficult to do when you're constantly being poked and prodded with a rake if you don't do it right.

Her lazy ass made me get this place looking decent because she wants to impress her eighteenth boyfriend down the line, Frank.

He has been the longest lasting one of her consorts in these past two months, wonder what his deal is.

He works as a plumber during the day but prefers to have a wild night out in the club when he feels like spending his money.

My mom doesn't mind though, she thinks that if she's a little loose it will make him stay a little longer.