Chapter 7

I knocked on the door to the lieutenant's quarters after recovering from the long sprint.  Momo appeared on the other side in a matter of seconds, a bored expression written on her face. A small glimmer appeared in her eyes when she saw me.

"Neko-chan, what are you doing here?"

"Well I had to pick up paperwork from you," I said, tilting my head slightly because I thought she would have known that.

Momo's eyes widened, putting a hand over her mouth. "Oh no, I almost forgot!" She ran to the back of her room as I walked in behind her.

Her room was about the same size as mine except the futon and nightstand were a pale shade of orange. She also had a bookcase filled with stories of myths and others of poetry.

Momo retreated to a small writing desk on the side of the room and handed me a rather large stack of papers. I couldn't help but make a small groan when the heavy load was placed in my arms.

She giggled at my strained look. "Haven't you done paperwork like that before Neko?"

I shook my head. "Nope, just has me deliver and carry them out."

She tilted her head with an intrigued look. "That's weird. Maybe because you're new and Captain Ichimaru doesn't want you overdoing yourself."

I shrugged at her prediction. I looked down at the papers in my hands, figuring that my captain would have to complete by the end of the day. An idea popped into my head as I looked back up at Momo with a pleading gaze. "Hey, do you think you could help me with his? He hasn't been in the best mood lately so it seems and I think he would really appreciate it."

Momo smiled, nodding her head. Of course, she wouldn't turn me down which I liked about her. If I needed something she always had my back, well most the time at least. She gestured me towards the small writing desk I had noticed earlier and pulled up a chair for me.

"I'm surprised you would want to put extra work on yourself Neko, but that's nice of you to do."

A small smile spread across my lips. "Well if I were a captain I would appreciate my lieutenant doing my work every now and then," I pointed out.

Momo nodded in agreement. I thought that maybe if I were to help out Captain Ichimaru I might actually get to meet the guy.

Momo handed me a pencil and one of the papers from the stack after doing so herself. She guided me through the basics as I began filling out information and data. Most of them were about squad three finances and damage repairs.

I raised one paper that had caught my eye, stifling a laugh. "Okay, how does someone catch a fire hydrant and a fire extinguisher on fire on the same mission?" Momo gave me the most confused look before laughing after thinking about it. I shook my head with a smile on my face. How bizarre.

We continued on with the paperwork until there was nothing left to do except for Captain Ichimaru to sign off of them. It was exhausting yet enjoyable at the same time since I had Momo to do it with.

I held the papers in my hands after giving Momo a goodbye hug. It was already dark out but I didn't mind it. I was more interested in getting the paperwork to squad three then calling it a day.

The stars aided my way towards Squad three, walking through the courtyard without further delay.

When I approached the barracks I saw that it was darker than usual. I didn't know what it was, but something gave me an odd feeling, one of suspicion and unease.

I walked into the barracks and saw the light from the moon filtering through the few windows, illuminating the dark hallway. Why aren't the lights on?