Chapter 25

After we all calmed down Ichigo ushered everyone out of his room. He closed the door and sighed, shaking his head.

"Are you sure you're alright?" he said, looking back at me.

Sweat was trailing down my forehead and my heart was pounding against my chest. I took a deep breath before collecting my thought.

"I'm fine. I just thought I saw something. That's all."

Ichigo's gaze was skeptical when he gazed at me, reminding me of the same look he gave me in class. He gave a final sigh before flicking off the lights once more. "Alright, try to get some sleep this time, okay?"

"I will. Night Ichigo." I wrapped myself back up inside the sleeping bag and let my head rest against the pillow again. Ichigo looked at me cautiously from behind before getting into bed. The orange-haired teen practically fell back asleep the moment he hit the fluffy pillow. I stayed awake for a few moments while my brown eyes remained fixed on the window. The moonlight illuminated nothing but Ichigo's desk and my messenger bag. My messenger bag.

I looked at the sleeping form of Ichigo before carefully slipping out of the gray bag again. I crept across the wooden floor towards the brown bag on Ichigo's desk. I placed my hands on its buttoned lip. A small click sounded as I opened it up and looked inside. No notebook.

My body went into complete shock. I wasn't imagining anything. This was real. I snapped my attention to a soft rattling noise from the door. I watched it open a few inches. There in the doorway and black covered notebook slipped through but only moments after did it retreat away into the hallway.

I rushed on light feet towards the door, not giving a second thought to anything. I immediately looked out into the small hallway. Whoever had been there was gone. However, if you listened closely you could still hear the light 'pitter-patter' of feet against the floor. I let the door click closed behind me and began to make my way down the hallway.

I strained to hear the almost inaudible footsteps against the floor. I ended up making my way downstairs, nearly falling down one of the steps because of the adrenaline rushing through my veins. My eyes caught the front door swing closed while a shadow made it's way to the left side of the building. I didn't hesitate to rush out the doors to be met with the night air. The rain from before had seized and a few patches of light shined through the gray clouds above.

A sliver of white caught my eye from the far corner of the building. I raced towards it and went around the Kurosaki clinic. A soft chuckling echoed down the alleyway as I continued my search. I was alerted to a 'clink clank' noise behind the complex. I sighed, making my way to the back to find a set of metal stairs ascending up towards the roof. Great, I have to go up.

I groaned, carefully making my way up the metal stairs. The rain was still visible on the surface of the metal as my feet met with small puddles. I narrowed my eyes since I had forgotten to slip on shoes before chasing after my notebook. My feet felt like popsicles.

On the last few steps, I practically jumped up the stairs in hopes that my wild search was over. My victorious smile fell when I was met with an empty roof. "Really?!" I let out an exasperated sigh. However, for the first time, I began to smell the cooling rain aroma and even the light tickle of a breeze pushing it my way.

I hadn't even realized how tense I was until now, but then again I just wanted my notebook back. I allowed my shoulders to relax as I made my way to the rim of the roof. I wasn't fond of heights, especially since Gin threatened to throw me off one way back when. I let my legs dangle over the dark gray rim and placed my hands on my lap.

I let out a weak chuckle. "All the stress must have gotten to me." That's all I could conclude.

My gaze went from the bit of moon I could see in the sky to the lively town below. The town was full of vibrant and warm colors mingling with the buildings a few cars that roamed the streets.  I could see a group of people walking into what seemed to be a club together with smiles on their faces. "Is that what normal is?" I said, continuing to stare off at different groups of people. Some were eating late-night dinners and others' early breakfasts. A few people were cruising down the streets with their windows rolled down, allowing the night breeze to fill their cars with delight.