Chapter 16

After Gin broke Izuru out of his cell and rendered the guard unconscious he handed me back my zanpakutou. "Ya ought ta be more careful where ya put yer sword," he teased with a wide grin spread across his face.

"You mean tied to my waist where it should be?" I retorted, making sure that my sheath was tight against my side.

His smile only grew from my response as he began walking ahead. Izuru and I followed behind at a steady pace, sharing a glance every once in a while but nothing more than that.

We came to a stop on a large wooden platform that was apart of Squad three's training grounds.

I looked around Gin to see a familiar white-haired Captain standing in front of us with an irritated look.

"I expected to see you and Izuru together." Captain Hitsugaya started, his cold turquoise eyes trailing over to me.

"But I didn't expect that you would be with them, Tsuki."

Watch out for her, okay? That's what he trusted me to do, protect Momo, and I failed. If anything I've only brought her into more danger.

I looked up at Gin's smirking face, his silver hair flowing with the calm breeze.

How much trust do I need to lose to keep yours, Gin?

"Oh my. Blaming an innocent girl, Captain? That's rather cruel," Gin said, walking towards the short Captain.

Izuru pulled me back when Captain Hitsugaya drew his sword and Gin did the same. The two engaged each other in battle while Izuru and I watched.

"Tsuki-san, what were you doing with Captain Ichimaru?" Izuru said, his eyes now trained on me.

I looked away, avoiding his curious gaze. "Umm, nothing. I was just coming back from delivering paperwork."

"Really? Ichimaru-sama sent me with the rest of his paperwork earlier," he pressed.

Before Izuru could catch me in a white lie a hard force hit the wooden platform. Momo was squirming on the ground, hit by Captain Hitsugaya during battle. At least that's what I thought. Why is she here?

"Momo," Izuru said in disbelief, running towards her when a large chunk of ice froze his legs, making him faceplant into the ground.

Captain Hitsugaya's Shikai was fully activated, an ice dragon looming over him that dove right towards Gin. I felt my hand go towards the silver-haired man, but I couldn't keep it there.

Once the dragon vanished I could see Gin's arm was frozen solid and Captain Hitsugaya's zanpakutou pointed at him, exchanging unpleasant words.

Suddenly, Gin's smirk widened and his zanpakutou extended at unimaginable speed towards Momo's unconscious body.

His sword strike was blocked by Rangiku, telling him to back down or she would engage him. His smile never wavered as he did so, disappearing from sight moments after.

Captain Hitsugaya was furious, his eyes focused on where Gin was before he vanished.

What am I doing? I was standing here like a complete idiot watching Momo almost get skewered alive and making no move to even stop Izuru.

Something needed to be done about this and now was the time to do it.

"Just where do you think you're going, Tsuki," Captain Hitsugaya called before I could take off.

I stared into his cold turquoise eyes, reading the displeasure within them. "I'm going to stop Captain Ichimaru and put an end to all this."

The white-haired Captain was slightly surprised by my words, but his expression remained hard.