Chapter 10

The next day seemed to go by much quicker than the last. I was doing another set of tasks that were taped to my door. Thoughts of last night ran through my head as I struggled to keep them at bay in my mind.

Momo had avoided me, but I deserved it. I couldn't let her find out or I would risk putting her life on the line. It was Gin's fault that this happened, or was it actually my own?

When I attended the lieutenant's meeting today the head captain announced that  Kuchiki Rukia, Hisagi Shuhei, Abarai Renji, and I would be on a mission in the living world tracking down hollows. I was already expecting the trip since it was written on the note on Gin's desk but I tried to act surprised in front of the others.

The only question I had was if the search on Captain Ichimaru was carried out. I knew now to take precautions with him but if there was a search wouldn't there be someone else who suspected Gin to be a bad guy or was it all just a diversion?

It was obvious that Aizen's quest for power wouldn't come to an end so easily and that he would take extreme measures to ensure his ultimate reward.

Everywhere I went, I felt as if Gin was watching me with his narrowed eyes. Keeping his secret was one thing, but thinking about it was another. I decided to head back to third squad barracks to prepare for tonight's mission.  About halfway there I heard a voice from behind me.

"Excuse me, lieutenant Tsuki." I turned to see a familiar tall captain with black-framed blocker glasses and brown hair. Oh, just great. I did my best not to scowl but even Aizen could see through the smile I mustered.

"What can I do for you, Captain Aizen?"

Aizen put a hand through his brown hair, giving me an innocent smile. "It seems like you could enjoy some company while you walk back to your squad."

"Why would you-!" Before I burst out with my retort I looked around at the other Soul Reapers passing by. Of course, Aizen would want me to make a fool out of myself for being so careless.

"I mean, why would you think that Aizen-sama? I'm perfectly fine."

The smile from Aizen's face fell for a second before reappearing once again. "I see, but I need to have a word with you. Knowing your current situation, you wouldn't want to do it behind closed doors. Am I right, Neko?"

The way he said my name sounded like a threat rather than his usual kind tone. He's just trying to get under my skin. "I suppose."

Aizen gestured me to walk next to him and I reluctantly did. When we reached a less crowded area he began to speak. "So Neko, how have you been since you returned to Seireitei. Its been quite some time hasn't it?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm surprised you would bring up such a thing since it was your fault in the first place."

Aizen was no longer smiling and his brown eyes didn't give away anything on what his true motives in the conversation were. "My fault? What an interesting choice of words Neko. For someone who used to look up to me, I'm surprised."

I gritted my teeth in annoyance and before I could respond he pulled me off to the side in the dense forestry around us.

His hand held tightly around my arm, not allowing me to escape though no one could see us anyway. His brown eyes stared into my own, analyzing the thoughts going through my head.

"You hate me don't you, Neko?"

"That's an odd question coming from you." I kept my gaze firm, refusing to answer his question.

"It's also odd for you to avoid a question such as that, am I wrong?"

I narrowed my eyes at the traitor and yanked my arm away from him. "You don't know me at all, Aizen," I said in pure disgust.