Research

Harry Potter.

The boy who lived.

The chosen one.

The golden boy. 

The savior of the Wizarding World. 

'How can anyone call me their savior?' Harry thought doubtfully, rolling his eyes. 'I can't even survive my uncle, how do people expect me to defeat Voldemort?'

Harry shuddered at the thought of him. Not Voldemort. His uncle. Harry was so glad that there would be an option to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas holiday.

'Just don't think about him,' he instructed himself silently as he began to get up from his seat on a bench at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall.

He winced however, really wishing he hadn't. He couldn't cover it up, the pain is his back crushing any hope left in his bruised muscles. No one was supposed to see him wince that way. He couldn't let anyone find out. If he did, he'd be killed. He knew he would.

But, of course, his best friends had seen him wince. He really wished they hadn't, in fear of their questioning. Harry knew they were just concerned for him, which he was grateful for, but he couldn't let them find out. They'd be killed too after all. He couldn't let that happen.

"Harry? Are you alright?" Hermione questioned, him giving him a concerned look from her seat at the table.

"Yeah what is it, mate?"  Ron asked him, biting his bottom lip in concern. 

Harry nodded gently, giving his friends a reassuring grin.  "Everything's fine, guys," he said, quickly covering up the pain the he had just felt in his spine. "I'm fine, don't worry."

Ron and Hermione exchanged concerned looks of disbelief, nodding anyway even though they clearly didn't believe Harry's response. 

'Please no more questions,' Harry begged his friends silently.  'You guys really can't know.  I don't want you to get hurt because of me.' 

"Are you sure, Harry?"  Hermione asked him once more, doubt evident in her suspicious gaze. 

"'Course, 'Mione.  Don't worry about it," Harry said, giving her a small smile, trying to cover up his pain. He was used to doing that however. He always hid his pain.

Harry glanced to Ron, hoping that he would be of some assistance. He clearly felt awkward and honestly nervous, in case his friends were to find out what was truly wrong with him. 

Ron looked up at Harry from his seat at the Gryffindor table, a small frown tugging at the corners of his lips.  He could sense Harry's nerves and decided to change the subject, leaving Harry as grateful as ever. 

"Well, 'course you are," he started, quickly changing his frown into a grin, "We don't have any classes today, after all.  Maybe it's you that isn't okay, 'Mione," he added, giving his female friend a joking glance. 

'Ron, you're the best!' Harry thought, visibly relaxing.  He was so lucky to have a friend like Ron. 

Hermione rolled her eyes at the redhead's comment as Harry let out a small, relieved chuckle.

"Well then, that'll give us more time to do research," Hermione stated, giving Ron a sarcastic glare as he let out an exasperated sigh.

"But, 'Mione!" Ron whined, standing up next to Harry. "All we ever do is research! Can't we just enjoy our day off for once?"

Hermione shook her head, rolling her eyes once more. Harry was honestly amazed that her eyes weren't stuck looking up from how many times she'd roll her eyes at Ron in a day. Hermione stood up as well, beginning to walk down to the end of the Gryffindor table.

"Honestly, Ronald, we need to find information on Nicolas Flamel!" Hermione snapped at the redhead. "Don't we, Harry?" She asked, looking up at him suspiciously. She knew there was something off about him.

Harry flinched slightly, his eyes widening as they looked from Ron to Hermione, who were both giving him looks of suspicion and concern. He honestly hadn't been paying much attention to the conversation, considering that Ron and Hermione would fight constantly.

"Y-yeah, 'course we do, 'Mione," Harry stuttered, biting his lower lip to keep it from shaking. He couldn't let them be suspicious of him. Although it was clearly too late.