Chapter 1

"Okay," Fitz said, plopping down hard on the edge of Sophie's bed.  "This is how it works, got it? Just like under Calla's panakes tree.  You can tell me what's up, or you can let me guess, or we can just drop it, okay?"

Sophie sighed, and sank back into her pillows.  Fitz knew very well what was bothering her, but they both didn't have the guts to talk about it.

It had been over a week since Sophie had rushed over to Elwin with Keefe, and he still hadn't woken up.  Despite Elwin's constant reassurance, and all the worried glances and solemn talks she'd had to sit through, over and over, she couldn't help think that she was fighting a losing battle.

What if he never woke up?

She blew out a breath, and looked up into Fitz's teal eyes that gazed at her full of concern.

She'd visited the Healing Center every day, but between Foxfire and generally sulking and feeling sorry for herself, she'd been visiting less and less.  Which made her feel guilty.  Because she should be worried about Keefe, and not about herself and her petty little problems.

"I know you're worried for him," Fitz said gently, cupping his hand over hers.  Sophie stared at their hands laced togethers over the blankets. She pulled away, and tugged out an itchy eyelash. "But it's going to be okay.  I promise."

"How can you even say that?" Sophie snapped, and instantly felt guilty.  She didn't mean to be so sensitive but she hated feeling so desperate and helpless.  Fitz recoiled, and slid of the bed. 

But the more logical part of Sophie knew that wasn't the only reason why she was being like that.

Her mind flashed to last week, when Counciller-Not-Her-Mom had showed her her only Forgotten Secret.  Of Stellarlune. The one thing that might help Keefe wake up.  

She remembered flashing back to when Ruy and Umber had attacked her and Fitz with shadowflux, as the shadows soaked deep into her bones and expanded...

And then a light filled her arm and suddenly the traces of shadow left.  

Stellarlune.

Unfortunantly, they hadn't known of stellarlune at the time, although Sophie suspected that would have helped her recovery tremendously.  Although if Tam had filled Keefe with shadowflux, maybe stellarlune could undo that.

Maybe...

As Sophie finished zoning out, she realized that Fitz had left.  She made a mental note to apologize to him later, but for now-

"Sophie?" 

Biana's voice filled her Imparter, as Sophie fumbled to pick it up and forced herself to look at Biana in the eyes.

"Hi Biana," Sophie managed, her voice cracking.  She shook the thickness from her voice, and cleared her throat.

"You okay?" Biana asked, her teal eyes matching the same worried glance that Fitz had given her minutes ago.  "Fitz told me you were a bit, um..."

"I'm fine.  Is Fitz okay?  I'm sorry I snapped at him earlier.  It's just so hard with Keefe out and-"

"I know," Biana acknowledged, and Sophie was surprised to hear how genuinely worried she sounded.  Not that she should have been surprised but...

"It's going to be okay," Biana repeated, saying the same thing that Fitz had told her.  And she wanted to believe her, and Fitz, and every other person so, so badly.  But she couldn't.

"For real this time though." Biana's eyes glowed with excitement and determination. "Meet me at Everglen.  I know how to make Keefe wake up."