Chapter 5

Sophie practically strangled him.  After Elwin insisted on going through a gazillion check-ups, inspecting him with different colored lenses, pounding him with questions, and making him drink dozens of random elixirs, he finally announced that it was okay for them to do their "sappy reunion" as he called it.

There was a lot of tears and hugging, and Sophie wasn't sure if she was mad at him for worrying her like that or proud of him for getting through, or just plain relieved that he was here and arguing with Fitz as usual.

"How do you feel?" Sophie asked him, trying not to sound too concerned.

"I've been better," Keefe groaned.  "Bit of a headache- and I don't think I'll ever be able to get that weird slimy feel off of me, so that's new. But.... Can we get a drum roll please?  Come on Elwin. Tell everyone what my brand new shiny ability is!"

"Actually, I don't see anything different with your cells, which usually happens when somebody manifests," Elwin admitted, peeking at him with another one of his multicolored spectacles.  "If I had to guess, it hasn't been triggered yet, and it may not be for a while.  Even just a few weeks before someone fully manifests, I can always see at least a tiny change- rapid pulse, odd temperature, whatever. I don't see any of that so..."

"Great," Keefe grumbled, banging his head against the wall with a yelp.  "I literally just got filled with shadowflux like some sort of swimming pool, compliments of Dear Ol' Tammy Boy, nearly died, twice I might add, and woke up just to be exactly the same as I was before?"

"Kinda," Tam pointed out, and Keefe sent him a withering glance.

"I bet it'll come sometime," Biana promised, intertwining her hands with his- and then let go immediately as she caught Tam looking at them.  That seemed to make Keefe crack up a little.

"Awww, does Bangs Boy have a crush?" Keefe taunted.

"Look who's talking," Tam grumbled, although his cheeks turned red.  "Jealous, much?"

"Okay, Elwin," Keefe said, turning away from Tam as if he couldn't stand him anymore.  "When do I get to get out of this thing?" He gestured to the narrow cot.  "I've been stuck here for a week and I'd love to be able to roll over and stretch myself out starfish-style."

"You've been in a coma," Elwin deadpanned.  "You weren't even aware of your surroundings until Sophie woke you up."

"Oh, but I knew my Lovely Lady F would rush me over here because she cares about me so much.  Was it my looks Foster, or the humor?"  Keefe raised his eyebrows at her.

A giggle slipped free, and Sophie mentally chided herself.  She hadn't realized she'd been frowning until Keefe made her smile.  Sophie didn't understand why Lady Gisela went through all the trouble just to have Keefe wake up and be the same.

Did she mean to almost kill him?  Had that always been part of the plan?

"Neither," Dex answered for her.

"Anyway," Elwin said, looking as if he clearly wanted to change the subject.  "I'm keeping you for the night okay?  There's nothing wrong with him," Elwin added quickly as Sophie opened her mouth to speak.  "Just to be safe. You'll be up and ready by Midterms- which are next week, not to mention."

"Great," Fitz said, matching Keefe's sarcasm.  "A big room full of Foxfire prodigies, Councilors, and parents, with literally no protection, open doors, and nobody paying attention? We might as well hang a big banner in front of Foxfire saying, 'Neverseen Please Attack Us.'"

"That's true," Sophie agreed.  She couldn't help feeling like something would go wrong.  But for now, Keefe was awake, and alive, and he was safe.

And for now, that was all that mattered.