Chapter 7

"Ugh, remind me never to do that again," Sophie groaned to Keefe, who looked equally mentally exhausted.  She didn't really understand how she even survived Finals, but she was alive and at least that counted for something.

She was pretty sure she aced Inflicting but Linguistics was another story.  Lady Cadence looked ready to burst when she challenged Sophie to mimicking her own voice, and ended up sounding like a donkey falling off a cliff, with seemed to offend Lady Cadence.

She spotted Grady and Edaline emerging from the doorway, and tried to search their faces for some sort of final confirmation.

"You passed!" Edaline burst, and Sophie didn't think she would ever get tired of hearing those words, however many years she stayed at Foxfire.

"You scraped by Linguistics," Grady admitted. "Lady Cadence said she only passed you because you could speak fluently in trollish.   But you passed Inflicting, and metaphysics with flying colors."

"We're so proud of you," Edaline told her and squeezed her into a hug.

Lord Cassius came storming in a moment later, and pulled Keefe  aside. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see them arguing, but less hotly then they usually did.  She only kept track of the conversation until Keefe's dad huffed,  "You passed."  That was all she needed to know.

Sophie was even more overjoyed when Alden confirmed that the rest of her friends had made it too- although Sophie wasn't too surprised.  

All the hugging and tears stopped when Magnate Leto cleared his throat and spoke into the microphone.

"I'd just like to take a moment to thank all of our prodigies and their parents for another great year at Foxfire. We are all very proud of you all.  We would also like to thank the mentors and our physician Elwin for educating our students."

The mentors bowed, and the rest of the students flashed them appreciative smiles.

"And now, would all prodigies please head to the locker rooms to get changed into their costumes. The show will begin in twenty minutes."

Edaline kissed Sophie good luck as she finished putting on the ridiculous outfit.  Her arms were connected to fake wings made out of felt, which made it hard to hug her.

When the level threes finished their dance that Sophie remembered them doing last year, Sophie followed Dex on stage.

Miraculously, she managed to get through it without falling on her butt, which was a miracle given her general clumsiness.  She spotted Keefe laughing at them from backstage, but it was good to see him smile.

And as Sophie walked offstage, she was prepared to smile back.

But something caught her eye.

The faces from her nightmares.

Standing at the doorway, expressions fixed menacingly, was Lady Gisela, Gethen, and Vespera.