Chapter 63

Sophie didn't know what to feel.. what she was feeling...

Just that single sentence, slamming against her head, sending her thoughts scattering, demanding the rest of her mind to focus, just focus on the fact that her infuriating lying terrible-excuse-for-a-mother was gone...

And was it bad that her anger was so pure and rich that she felt a lot less sad and worried about that than she should have?

"That's.... terrible," Sophe managed to choke out, clearing whatever emotions clogging her voice as she asked, "Does anybody know what happened?"

"Not really," Edaline admitted sadly.  "There was.. a Council meeting... somewhere in Atlantis... Oralie looked a little rushed, the rest of the Councillors said, and she left early because she said she wasn't feeling good. Councillor Terik and Noland were planning a dinner with her, and when she didn't show up, they checked her castle and she was gone."

"Just like that?" Sophie asked nervously.

"Just like that," Grady confirmed, putting a protective hand on Sophie's shoulder.  "And I'm pretty sure we all know who took her."

"The Neverseen," Sophie said, grimacing.  "Probably as bait."

"Probably," Grady agreed. "Which is why I'm insisting you stay at Havenfield- no excuses, no arguing.  We're getting extra goblins to-"

"No way," Sophie warned him.  "You know I'm not going to be able to do that. I'm going to sneak off somewhere or something-"

"Which is why," Edaline interrupted, "I'm going to let you see Keefe- once. Before we trap you in here with your parents."

"I.. thank you," Sophie said slowly. "But.. I'm still not going to be able to listen to you, you know that right? I can't help it. That's my job- being the moonlark; chasing after loose ends, hitting walls and dead ends, and then chasing vague clues for answers under peoples' noses. It's in my nature."

She looked her adoptive parents in the eye and told them, "You can't trap me in a bubble for my entire life."

"We can certainly try," Edaline cut in before Grady could argue.  "Now you better hurry," she advised Sophie, "Grady'll only let you at 'that boy's' house for an hour or two."

_______________

"Oralie's gone?" Keefe asked her- when Sophie nodded glumly, he took her hand and kissed her. "It'll be all right, trust me."

But all the emotions... mixed about her biological mother must've caught Keefe's attention because he groaned.

"Ugh- I forgot -she's your mom, isn't she?" Keefe waited for her to nod. "That's why there's so much.." he tilted his head. "Confliction. And a little bit of guilt to- because your reluctant to save her, and you're ashamed of that?"

"Empaths," Sophe muttered.

"Empaths give you all the feels, don't worry Foster." Half his smirk was back but then his expression fell again as he told her, "But.. no guilt, okay?"

"I can't stop myself from feeling guilt," Sophie reminded him. "If we could, Alden's mind wouldn't have broken. Besides, remember your dad's book, The Heart of the Matter? And his theory?"

Keefe grimaced. "Yeah, I do. But... you have every right to feel hesitant."

"I don't," Sophie argued. "She's a Councillor! I should be rushing to save her petty little-"

"Ah, and now there's the anger I've been waiting for!" Keefe told her. "Now use that and blow away all the guilt."

"It's not guilt," Sophie lied- and then remembered that she couldn't lie to an Empath by Keefe's smirk. "It's just.. hesitance."

"Keep telling yourself that," Keefe said lightly, but Sophie could hear his worry. "And personally- I know you're parents aren't going to be able to keep you at Havenfield. I know you- and I know them. And..."

Sophie saw the teasing glint in his ice blue eyes as he told her,

"And I know you won't be able to stay away from me Foster!"

But he ended with serious eyes, grabbing her hand and telling her, "Seriously though Sophie. If you need anything, I'm here for you- even if Gigantor won't let you out of your room, hail me. I'm always here for you."

He hesitated for a moment before whispering, "Do you trust me?"

Sophie remembered when Fitz had asked the same exact question to her- and Lord Cassius's theory was only proven more as she realized how much her mind had wanted to tell him that she did trust him, but how much her heart was telling her that she didn't.

But she knew for certain that her heart was in on it too when she promised Keefe,

"I do."