Chapter 20

"So... we're looking for the Neverseen's secret hideout with no sense of direction, no leads, and no plan," Stina said dubiously.  "This ought to be fun."

The only thing that kept Sophie from freaking out was that their bodyguards were trailing them- Woltzer and Lovise taking up the sides, and Sandor bringing up the back.  They'd decided to search around Eternelia first, while Dex stayed behind at Slurps and Burps to play with the trackers and see if there was any trace of evidence.

For the rest of them, it was like one long game of Base Quest- just looking, and looking, and also trying not be caught or eaten by wild animals or the Neverseen.  Hooray!

Elwin had hailed her just a few minutes before to tell her about the trick that Gethen had used on her.  He'd explained that there must've been a Flasher hidden somewhere, and Gethen, who was a Telepath waaaaaaaaaaay to powerful for his own good, found some way to transmit light into Sophie's mind.  That was where Keefe came in- sending the shadows to block out the light.

Which of course, caused a whole blow up of arguments that Glimmer was working with the Neverseen- and at that point, Tam seemed to be the only one defending Glimmer.

Personally, Sophie really didn't get why Tam was so protective of the former Neverseen Flasher.  It probably had something to do with the fact that they had both worked with the Neverseen, and maybe had some private discussions that helped Tam see underneath her mysterious outer shell.  Sophie didn't trust her at all.

"Dex Diznee would like to speak to Sophie Foster," her Imparter announced calmly.  She hurriedly swiped at it, as Dex's face appeared on the screen.

"Anything?" Sophie asked, feeling a bit guilty.  She could take a hint; Dex felt left out a lot.  They never included Dex in a lot of things, and really only asked for his help if it had something to do with gadgets.  

"Actually, yeah,"  Dex admitted, and Sophie wanted to scold herself for looking so surprised.  She would never doubt his abilities... right?

"Go on," she urged, shooing away the thoughts.

"I was working with my parents and we found a trace of something.  My parents said to show it to you and that you'd know what it was- no idea why so don't ask.  Where should I meet you guys?"  

If Dex's parents, who were both skilled alchemists, couldn't figure out what it was, Sophie doubted she could, but she told him, "We can meet in Atlantis, okay?  I don't think there is going to be much in Eternelia and maybe if we head back to Nightfall we'll see some sort of clue."

"That works," Dex said gratefully, and the screen went blank.

————————-

"It's this," Dex said, pulling out a tracker and revealing some sort of slippery golden liquid covering up the Neverseen symbol.

Sophie's heart raced as realization flashed in her eyes.  She knew what that was.  And she thought she would be done with it for good.  But she was wrong, like they always were.

Because the Neverseen was indeed always a million steps ahead of them.  Knowing their next move.  And she had just lead her friends right into a trap.

"That's..." her voice failed her as her vision was blinded by the familiar searing light.

Sophie wanted to push it away, claw through the light and into the familiar darkness, but she could only make out a single word.

"Stellarlune."

And then the world went black.