Chapter 49

"Adela?" Sophie asked through the darkness as she recognized the quiet ripples of the Neverseen founder's voice.

"Yes, my moonlark," Adela said softly. "How I've missed you."

"I didn't," Sophie spat.  "I actually got one night of good sleep."

"You are sleeping," Adela deadpanned. "But that doesn't matter, does it? You asked me here for another reason, am I correct."

"Well.. yes," Sophie begrudgingly admitted. "But just because I have a question. What's Keefe's legacy?"

"Now what would be the fun in that?" Adela asked innocently, her tinkly laugh rippling against Sophie's consciousnesses.  "You'll see, my dear."

"Don't call me that." Sophie scowled- if that was even possible while transmitting through shadowflux? 

"Why not? It's true.  I'm closer to you in genetics than anyone.  Your adoptive parents, your sister- they're not blood related."

"My biological parents," Sophie pointed out.

"I'm even closer than you biological parents. They gave you your original genes. The Black Swan tweaks your DNA so much it's barely recognizable compared to your genetic parents."

"Wait- you know who my biological parents are?" Sophie steeled her voice.

There was a beat of silence, before Adela admited, "No, I don't. But I do have a very good suspicion."

"Mm hmm," Sophie said skeptically.  "I had suspicions too. They were wrong."

"So you know who your genetic parents are, then?"

"One of them," Sophie admitted, not knowing why she was telling her this.  "But we're getting off topic. What. Is. Keefe's. Legacy?"

"You'll see," Adela said simply.  "Although since you so kindly gave me that wonderful bit of information about your biological parents- sorry, parent, I will tell you something that will be extremely valuable in the future."

"What?" Sophie asked, knowing she was going to regret this.

"Keefe's legacy is happening soon."

And then her consciousness faded back into oblivion.

______________

"What do you mean that Keefe's legacy is happening soon?" Mr. Forkle asked, looking surprisingly calm despite how panicked Sophie was feeling.

She'd woken up, pale and covered in cold sweat like she'd woken up from a nightmare.  Even though it was barely dawn, she'd hastily gotten ready and hailed Mr. Forkle.

"Adela told me," Sophie said breathlessly, as she tried to balance her Imparter between her knees and brush her mane of blonde hair at the same time.

"You're still communicating with my sister?" Mr. Forkle asked with an unreadable expression.  "I have to admit- Project Moonlark has certainly taken an unexpected turn."

"Couldn't help it,"  Sophie said. "I was desperate."

"The Neverseen feed off of desperation.  It's how they lure people in.  If you're desperate enough to believe them, you're desperate enough to do their bidding and join them."

Sophie straightened.  "I'd never join them."

"I'm well aware of this, Ms. Foster," Mr. Forkle said patiently.  "I'm just saying, there's no guarantee that she speaks truth in her words."

"She also said the fact that I know who my biological mom is was important.  She said she has theories about both of them," Sophie told him.

"You know who your genetic Mom is?" Mr. Forkle asked.

"Oralie," Sophie said, feeling disgusted just saying it.  "More like Councillor Lyingcurls."

"Do not fear what you can't control.  She has done a great deal for you and I encourage you to appreciate all that she has done more."

Sophie snorted, biting back a sarcastic comment.

"Though I must wonder- have you told anyone?"

"No- at least not directly. Keefe, Tam, and Biana were eavesdropping and they heard."

Mr. Forkle frowned.  "Why did you happen to be talking about your genetic parents right then?"

"I'd just hailed her and I was venting to Wynn and Luna," Sophie admitted, realizing how weird that sounded.

"That- could be a problem-"

The rest of his sentence was cut off as a note fluttered softly through the window.  Her curiosity overcame her politeness, as she abruptly hung up on Mr. Forkle, scurried over to the window, and picked up the note.

Moonlark,

We took Keefe.

Come to Atlantis. 

Meet us on the fountain across from Nightfall.

Again:

Come alone.