Chapter 35

"What do you mean reprogrammed?" Sophie tried to sound angry and bitter, but it ended up sounding like a sob.

Lady Gisela had spent her entire life lying to and harassing Keefe, saying she was doing him good but instead just messing up his life all together.  She had her entire life to be an evil jerk- couldn't she just take a break for a few years?

"His ability was triggered with shadowflux.  That's why he's a Shade.  And a Shade is basically the only shadow-related ability.  If he had been triggered with Stellarlune, he could've been a Flasher, or a Charger, or a Vanisher, or even a Phaser. But he wasn't."

"Why not?" Sophie demanded, trying to pull herself together.

"Shadows are flexible.  They fall into every form.  Gisela thought that if this was his ability, somehow his mind would be effected and he'd be easily swayed by our orders- plus a lot of other complicated things that would probably shatter your sanity if I went on."

"Why didn't you make him a Hydrokinetic, then?  Water can be in every shape and form- probably more than shadows can."

Adela clucked her tongue, sounding thoroughly exasperated. "I've told you, my moonlark- nothing important in this world is physical.  Sure, water physically can be any form, but shadows- especially shadowflux in particular- are all in the mind."

"What are you going to make him do?" Sophie asked, trying to change the subject before her head exploded.

"You'll see."

The ominous threat hung in the air for a split second and Sophie felt her pulse racing.

And then her voice vanished into the darkness.

_____________

Despite her promise to meet with Keefe that morning, Sophie was still feeling hesitant about visiting.

What did Adela mean by the fact that he was "reprogrammed?" How did they get him back to normal? What were they going to make him do?

And probably the most important: Should she tell anyone?  Both about Keefe's reprogramming and her discussions with Adela she had every night?

She hated how they called it "reprogramming" like Keefe was some sort of object instead of a real human being, with real fears and worries and emotions.  Unfortunately, an "object" was how Keefe had been treated his entire life.

So Sophie did what she did best. She stalled. And she decided to make a stop at Fitz's house first.

When she got there, Fitz was not waiting on the porch for her to come over. In fact, she suspected that he was hiding from her.  Instead, Della was standing there, although she didn't look particularly surprised to see Sophie running over to her.

"Where's Fitz?" Sophie asked her.  She hated to be so blunt, but she was on an agenda.

"Um..." Della flinched, looking conflicted for the slightest second, before disappearing, reappearing next to Sophie, and saying quietly,  "He's in his room.  I don't think he's quite keen to see you though."

"Figured as much," Sophie grumbled. "Can I go in?"

"Of course."  Then she vanished like she was afraid Fitz would see her, which was a very realistic possibility.

Sophie made her way up to the gorgeous Everglen mansion with shaky legs. She was well aware that Fitz had trouble controlling his anger and what she'd done and said to him was certainly a reason to be angry.  She tried to act inconspicuous as she opened the door and slipped quietly up the stairs.

Nobody seemed to be home.  Della had gone of to who-knows-where (probably shopping in Atlantis) and Alden had been busy with work for the Council.  With Biana away at Tam's house (for reasons that were much too obvious) it was probably safe to assume that Fitz was the only one home.

Which might've made it a whole lot worse.

She recognized Fitz's room out of all the rest of the rooms in the corridor because it was slammed shut and locked.  She tiptoed up to it, and knocked quietly.

No answer.  Sophie figured. She knocked louder.  Still no answer.

"Fitz?"  Sophie asked.  She kept knocking.  She must've been knocking for minutes.

Finally she got so frustrated that she used her telekinesis to slam a perfectly sculpted vase into the door.  The wood splintered and cracked, and fell to the floor with a thud.

When the dust settled, Sophie gasped so hard she felt like the air was being sucked out of her lungs.

Because looming with a fist raised over an unconcious Fitz was.... Keefe?