Chapter 58

Sophie didn't care that her head hurt and her mental energy was drained.   All she could think was two things.

Keefe was alive- confused and weak, yes, but still alive.   And when those beautiful shimmering ice blue eyes locked into her own, expressing a hundred million emotions that Sophie knew they could never tell each other in words....

That brought her to thought number two.  She loved Keefe.  For who he was.  Not his ego.  Not his reputation.  Certainly not his legacy.  Not a silly crush.

Because true love shouldn't make her heart flutter and moments between them seem awkward. It was supposed to feel genuinely right and that was exactly how Sophie felt.

And now she knew that Keefe Sencen loved her too.

———————

"He's alive?!"  

Practically a hundred voices screamed into her already pounding ears.  She knew she would have to go through all of that as she helped Keefe into the Healing Center, but right now, she really just needed to take a break.

"Guys, I just need to-"

"Take a break,"  Keefe finished for her-  which obviously lead to a chorus of,

"He can talk?!"  As if Keefe was some sort of ancient multi planetary species.

Keefe offered them a tired smile.  

"She's right guys,"   Elwin interrupted, flashing a few colored orbs at them both.  "I know she hailed you all here for a reason but-"

"How about we talk and rest?"  Linh suggested, and Tam gave them a glare that pretty much said, Agree to that or I'll stuff shadowflux down your nose.

Sophie practically collapsed onto the bed, relishing in the thin sheets and fluffy pillows.  Keefe looked as if he was doing the same thing.

Foster, Keefe transmitted, startling Sophie slightly even though she was sort of expecting it.

Don't waste your energy, Sophie warned him.  You're alive but you're still almost dead.

I realize that, Keefe told her gently.  I just wanted to tell you... I felt you poking around in my memories.  And what you were feeling.  And what you said lastly.  Was that just.... to wake me up, or did you really mean it?

Sophie breathed a sigh of relief as some Telepath- maybe Fitz? -poured a load of mental energy into her mind.  The warmth trickled downwards like melted gold, patching up parts in her head that felt like cracking and crumbling away.

I... I did Keefe.

I did too.  

For a second their mental voices went silent- but not because it was awkward.  Not because they wanted to take those words back.  

Because they both knew it was true.

—————————

"You know what bothers me?"  Wondered a familiar voice behind her.  Sophie turned away, turning her back to the stranger and fidgeting with the soft bark clinging to Calla's panakes tree.

Oralie-  dressed in her usual silky pink gown, shining tiara, and overall ridiculous Councillor attire, kneeled down behind her daughter.

"Keefe never completes his legacy,"  Oralie continued.

"Do you think I don't realize that?"  Sophie snapped, wheeling on her angrily.  "Do you- do you think that I didn't spend all night, tossing and turning and bed, thinking about where they strike next?  About how much I hate how this goes over and over and over and-"

"Don't listen to them then,"  Oralie offered her.  "You said it yourself.  We make the rules now, not abide by theirs.  You can do it Sophie."

"You don't get to tell me what I can and can't do!"  Sophie yelled at her hotly.  "Yeah, just go to your petty little castles, sit atop your little jeweled throne that costs enough lusters that you could buy humans freaking mansions with that sort of money.  You claim that you Councillors help the people but you don't-  just look at what happened to Kenric, that should be proof enough for you."

And Sophie didn't care how many tears were spilling over Councillor Lyingcurl's formerly pretty pink face as she sprinted across the fields.