Chapter 10

Sophie met up with everyone else at the Healing Center.

After Magnate Leto had hailed her to tell them that they had the situation under control with the public, and Sophie had assured him that everyone was alive and mostly safe, and then updated all the different Telepaths in the Collective about what had happened, she was exhausted. 

She didn't argue when Elwin told her to chug a Bottle of Youth, which was saying a lot.

The bodyguards woke up safe, and mostly unharmed, just ashamed and angry that the Neverseen had gotten away they hadn't been there to help.

"How's he doing?" Sophie asked Elwin, gesturing to Tam.

"He'll come around," Elwin promised.  "Vespera knocked him pretty hard.  A few cracked ribs and a concussion, but nothing a few elixirs can't fix."

"That's good," Sophie said, breathing a sigh of relief.

She turned away from him as she spotted Linh coming towards her.

"Hey Linh," Sophie said, giving her her best I'm-trying-not-to-look-tired-even-though-I-am smile. "How are you holding up after this all?"  Sophie waved around her hand, gesturing to the whole room.

"I wish I could've done more to help," she said, her voice soft as her pale cheeks blushed.  

"Tam will be okay.  He's been through a lot," Sophie pointed out.

"I know." Linh looked like she wanted to say something, and then stopped herself and abruptly walked over in the other direction.  Sophie wondered if she'd said something wrong, but figured she shouldn't be second guessing herself when there were bigger things to worry about.

She made her way over to Keefe, who was standing slumped against the wall and kicking the edge of a cot, his face fixed in a dejected expression.

"So... you're a Shade," Sophie said awkwardly, trying to spark a conversation. "That's new."

"Why a Shade though?" Keefe asked. "Why not something- friendlier? Why the same ability as Bangs Boy over there?" Keefe gestured to where Tam lay in the cot beside the one he was currently kicking like it was a punching bag.

"Cut him some slack," Sophie said, then realized that probably wasn't the best thing to say when Keefe was acting so....? "I know this is hard, Keefe."

"Oh really, do you?" Keefe asked, his voice filled with a bitterness Sophie had never heard her use with her before. "You're this- this golden girl with five abilities and the nicest parents anyone could ever ask for. And your talented and brilliant and-" Keefe cut off, his cheeks turning hot pink as he realized what he'd just said. "I mean, not like, you know..."

"I know," Sophie promised- although her mind was stuck on the fact that Keefe had complimented her like she was some sort of.... "But my life's not that perfect.  Think of how many near-death experiences I've had to live through, and all the tragedies I've faced and losses I've handled and times where I saw my friends and the people I love struggle and I couldn't do anything to save them."

"But at least you get to do something helpful," Keefe said, and his voice dropped as low as Sophie guessed his mood was reaching. "I'm just a burden."

"Keefe, stop," Sophie said, realizing how dangerous this was getting. Was he feeling guilt? Sanity shattering guilt? Sophie flashed back to all the times he'd been there for her, and stopped her from feeling too much of that.

"I know I'm being ungrateful. I just manifested twice- past manifesting age and gotten one of the most powerful abilities ever. But I don't even know what I'm supposed to do.  This part might be over but my Legacy isn't. You heard my mom."

"I did," Sophie admitted. "And I hated it.  So please don't believe her.  You're just-"

Sophie's voice was cut off as her Imparter vibrated in her pocket.

How many times was she going to be hailed out of the blue and given some sort of life-changing, deal-breaking updates?

This time it was Tiergan: "You guys need to get over to Havenfield. Something happened with Grady and Edaline."