Chapter 52

"Exactly Sophie!  See? Even the Black Swan's foolish invention has at least half a brain to put two-and-two together- although I must say, for someone created to have such a strong mind, I must admit I'm surprised it took you this long- years Sophie! And much longer for your creators, I'm sure."

Sophie barely digested any of the words that were forming through the darkness- Keefe? Why Keefe? What were they going to make her do?  What were they going to make him do?

And most importantly: Were they going to get out of this alive?

"What are you going to do now?" Sophie said hoarsely, clearing the thickness from her throat as she leaned against a wall for support, the world spinning in front of her.

Lady Gisela raised an eyebrow.  "I'm not sure if you were aware that we know all about your little ability resets.  Why do you think nothing major has happened with Keefe's shade powers? They aren't working- because they have to be reset."

"Then why did you bring me here if he's just going to be knocked out anyways? To watch him suffer?"

"Unlike you, our formula is perfected to the very end- almost automatic, like a power trigger.  Besides, he's not allergic to anything- you are. That's what knocks you out whenever they reset your abilities.  As for Keefe, it just happens.  Then...." she shrugged, but Sophie saw right through her calm demeanor.  "His legacy begins. I mean really- what better Sencen legacy to have then destroying yours?"

Sophie didn't know what to say besides, "Don't do this."

Lady Gisela ignored her.  "Adela, feel free to do it now."

"Wait!" Sophie said, feeling desperate.  Her mind was chanting, don't, don't, don't do it and she found herself saying, "I thought that his ability was already triggered! Why did you make Tam do that thing to him? What was that even supposed to do?'

Lady Gisela still didn't take notice.  "Do it, Adela," she said forcefully when Adela hesitated.

Don't do it, Sophie thought.  She wasn't sure if she was transmitting it or saying it out loud, but all she knew was that it was pounding through every single part of her body, getting louder and louder and louder until she could barely hear herself any more...

Adela still didn't make a move. What was going on?

"Adela," Lady Gisela said angrily, gritting her teeth. "I said. Do. It!"

Sophie's mind drifted off to wonder and the concentration broke.  Adela shoved something down his throat (Sophie averted her eyes, trying not to throw up) and unlike her, Keefe's eyes opened. 

"Keefe?" she whispered tentatively, forcing herself to take a step forward and-

"Don't," he said darkly to no one in particular.  "Don't get-"

And then his eyes took that horrible glazed look, his arms fell to his sides, and his features contorted for some reason, any reason, Sophie hoped, but pain.  Lady Gisela just smiled coyly to herself, and Adela still looked as if she was trying to grasp what had just happened.

"Yes Keefe," Lady Gisela said.  "My husband had a legacy in mind, but this one is better. If this is the only way for us to be remembered, then so be it.  I will face the consequences if the Sencen legacy lives on feared, causes terror... I mean, Sophie, really.  Legacies of good are forgotten.  But this..."

She smiled with such vindictiveness for every thing that Sophie had ever done.

Lady Gisela looked his son- the son that she'd tormented, tortured, played with, and used for so, so many years.  She'd lied to him so many times, whispered traps into his ear, lured him, slowly, into things she knew he'd regret getting into.

And now.

Now.

There was nothing Sophie could do to stop it.

What was the purpose of a moonlark if she sat in a dark corner, watching her friends being tortured, doing nothing, nothing, to stop it?

Maybe Lady Gisela was right.

If Project Moonlark was a bust...

Then she heard someone stumble through the darkness behind her, scream, "SOPHIE!"  And Keefe- Keefe, what was he doing?

Then the familiar slimy shadowflux crashed into her mind and the world faded to black.