Chapter 30

KEEFE?! Fitz transmitted, so loudly that Sophie bit her tongue.

Um, yeah.  Hi Fitzey!

You can get past Sophie's blocking?  Bitterness crept into his voice as he directed his transmit to Sophie.  You didn't tell me?

Never had the chance, she admitted. I'm sorry, I would've but-

I know I was being a jerk to you, Fitz relented. But how can Keefe transmit to you?  He's not even a Telepath.  He's not your cognate.

Awww, is Fitzey jealous?  Keefe teased.  

Fitz clenched his teeth from across the room.  That's not the point, he told her.  You do that think where you look like you're thinking about something but you're a terrible liar.  So spill.

Fine, but-

"Does anyone else want to know what this cute little trio is talking about in their heads?"  Dex said smirking, and Sophie flushed, severing their communication. In truth, she was a little bit thankful that she didn't have to admit what had happened with Adela- even to Fitz and Keefe.

"Nothing," They all said at the same time.

Ro pranced over to Keefe and tapped a shiny polished nail right on his nose.  "Awww, they even talk in unison!  Who else thinks the square is long overdue?  Or actually, it's more of a triangle now."  Ro shot Dex an apologetic glance, as he turned the same shade of red Sophie imagined her face was.  "How about you guys tell your girl how you feeeeeeeeeeeeeel?  Then Sophie can pick- this'll be fun!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Sophie said truthfully.

"Still in denial?"  Ro asked sweetly.  "It's okay- though I still think Hunkyhair is a better choice."  Sandor looked like he was ready to hit her upside the head with a baseball bat, and Ro finally gave them peace, retreating to the Healing Center doors.

"Anyway," Elwin broke in.  "I know you're probably dying to see Grady and Edaline.  Maruca's staying with Wylie, actually, and I think Marella came over too.  Your parents are at Havenfeild.  I just did the last checkup, and you're strong enought to light leap to Havenfeild!"

"I'll come with you," Fitz and Keefe said at the same time.

"You guys are really mastering the talking at the same time and flir-"  Ro was cut off as Keefe and Fitz both used telekinesis to cover her mouth in scraps of gauze.  Ro's eyes were so deadly, Sophie resisted the urge to warn Keefe about checking his food before he ate it.

"You guys can both go," Biana piped up.  "I'll head over to Everglen to make sure Mom and Dad know that Sophie's okay."

"That works," Sophie agreed, sending her a grateful look.

Then she climbed out of the cot, raised her Havenfield crystal up to the light, and let the warmth whisk her away.

_________

"Sophie!"  Grady shouted from the pastures.  Despite the fact that he'd just been abducted he was still outside in the field, covered in mud as he fed Verdi food.

"Hi Dad,"  Sophie ran up to him, sinking into his hug.  "How are you?"

"We're good.  Don't worry about us, kiddo.  I don't remember much, actually.  Head inside and tell Edaline your home, alright?  I'll be in in a minute."

He went back to feeding the animals.  Sophie smiled and headed inside just like she told her to.

Sophie's adoptive mother was washing the dishes in the sink, conjuring up food onto the table at the same time.

"Sophie!" Edaline cried tearfully as she saw her emerge from the doorway.  She wrapped her in a hug, and Sophie enjoyed her warm, radiant smile more than she'd ever noticed she could.  "Want dinner?"

"I'm actually pretty tired," Sophie admitted.  

"That's okay," Edaline said, looking a bit crestfallen.  "I'll conjure it up to your room than, alright? We'll talk tomorrow."

Sophie agreed.  She got ready for bed (after Sandor's very tedious security check) but as she fell asleep, she heard a voice.

And not just any voice.  Saying "Sophie, sophie, sophie."

She recognized it all too well.

Adela.

(Sorry that last part was cringy... XD)