Chapter 3

"That sounds- interesting," Mr. Forkle decided, when Sophie hailed him later that day.  Interesting was code word for wierd, complicated, and probably a bad idea.

"But it makes sense, doesn't it?" Sophie pushed.  "If shadowflux and stellarlune are like opposites, and we basically have shadowflux in our veins then can't we find some way to turn it into stellarlune? And then maybe I can inflict it on Keefe so that he wakes up?"

"Ms. Foster, you are forgetting how many maybes and what ifs that are included in this plan of yours.  We don't even know if you can reverse an element, much less inflict it."

Sophie dropped her voice.  "I know," she admitted to her feet.  "But we should at least try." 

"You're also forgetting what a risk this is to yourself," Mr. Forkle added, refusing to give in.  "Working with shadowflux could bring back the echoes.  Even if Flori sung them away, the memories will always be a part of you."

"But if it works," Sophie countered, crossing her arms stubbornly.  "Then maybe they can go away permanently. Or at least we'll be able to get them away from us if they come back."

"Are you sure about this? This is a huge risk.  On both you and young Mr. Vacker's part and Mr. Sencen too."  

"Tam will probably need to be a part of this too, just in case something goes wrong with the shadowflux.  And if Tam is there, then Linh too. And Biana, and Dex..."

"Which proves my point," Mr. Forkle cut in.  "You're dragging your friends into this too. Are you really willing to risk that?" 

"They want to wake up Keefe just as much as I do and you know that. You realize nothing you're going to say is going to change my mind, right?"

Mr. Forkle sighed.  "I do.  And that's why I'm letting you do it.  But first I must insist we get your friends together- parents, a few members of the Collective, and bodyguards included -to figure out how all of this is going to work.  I'm not letting you and Fitz, and the rest of your friends, risk your sanity however heroic you might be."

"I'm not doing it to be heroic," Sophie pointed out.

"I know." Mr. Forkle sorted through his pocket, and pulled out a leaping crystal.  "How about you hail your friends and I'll hail the Collective and the adults?  We can have it after Foxfire tomorrow."

Sophie gave him a sly smile. "Deal."

____

"This- is a lot of people," Sophie breathed, as the rest of the Collective appeared through the doorway.  Between Black Swan members, parents and friends, even the living room of Havenfield which usually seemed huge, was packed.

"It's a big deal," Dex pointed out, and Sophie had to agree.

However ridiculous or dangerous it would be, Sophie would put her life on the line any day to save a friend.  

I do it every day, she thought, wondering if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

She cleared her throat.  Everyone stopped talking and turned to Sophie.  She felt her face burn as she realized that she was going to have to talk in front of everyone.  Though she did feel a tiny bit better when Fitz gave her a reassuring glance.

Just say it, he transmitted. It's a good idea.

So Sophie did. She explained about the reverse-shadowflux and the inflicting and all the things they didn't know but wished they did. And when she was finished, when she finally let herself take a long, deep breath, she scanned the room filled with doubtful and pitiful expressions.

"I mean, technically it makes sense but..." Tiergan trailed off, leaving Sophie feeling worse than she had before.

"I know it seems confusing. But nobody has any other ideas... and at least it's a lead..."

Suddenly Sophie's Imparter jolted and Elwin's panicked voice filled the room, interrupting Sophie's mental pity party.

"Sophie!  I need you to come over to the Healing Center as fast as you can. Something's happening with Keefe."