Chapter 65

"But.. I thought that was your base!" 

Sophie didn't realize she'd exclaimed her revelation aloud until it was too late- but Edaline caught her panicked eye, whispered something to her husband, and practically dragged a very disgruntled Grady into the house.

"It was," Mr. Forkle admitted. "But after what happened with Silveny and the Neverseen... we couldn't risk that much when the organization was so small. Think about it, Ms. Foster: At that time, you still thought we were the bad guys."

"I... but..."

"Those ability resets we give you will always trigger an emotional aspect- perhaps even mental, or physical in a worst case scenario.  And it happens whenever you enter the place in which your abilities had been reset. Remember: memories are triggered by everything- touch, taste, sound, and smell, and even emotions.  I'm guessing the Neverseen chose that place knowing that it would cause that weakness to you."

"But.... we did my second reset at Calla's panakes tree, and it's worked fine," Sophie argued.

"But you can't forget," Mr. Forkle warned her. "Calla used to be a living being and panakes trees are more powerful than any other tree I've seen, depending on how you look at it. I would not be surprised if it found some way to counter-act it. But the cave... is a cave. Just a bunch of rocks."

Sophie let the word float through her brain, letting her mind funnel out all of the important details and sighed.

"Fine.  But-"

Mr. Forkle was already gone.

————————

"Missing me already, Foster?" Keefe's smirk paced her heartbeat down to a comforting thud.  

"I need you to meet me at my bedroom at eleven tonight.  Bring Biana- we'll need a Vanisher with us," Sophie whispered, glancing at the doorway cautiously and making sure that Sandor was still patrolling down the hallway.

"I like the rebelling Sophie," Keefe noted. "Let's do it.  But... we're rescuing your mom, right?"

"Oralie," Sophie corrected stiffly.  "A Councillor in which I'm not associated with."

Keefe blinked.  "Congrats! Now you can join the Parent Problems club with me, Linh, and Bangs Boy!"

"Great," Sophie mumbled.

————————-

Sophie woke up to her window shattering.

Truthfully, she hadn't really been sleeping. It was just... a restful wake.  And also because she really couldn't get her mind away from her thoughts.

She was curled up on her side, squishing Ella between her arms and feigning sleep for Sandor's sake, when she heard a crash and a thin shard of glass shot past her shoulder...

Sandor whirled around, two very pointy looking daggers positioned threateningly at.... nobody.

Or, more of Biana who was vanishing Keefe.

But a Sandor didn't know that.

"Show yourself,"  Sandor growled.  "I know you're there...."

"Me too, I can smell you."  Sophie groaned to see Bo and Flori fanned out on either sides of him, holding similar very pointy weapons.

Biana.... Sophie transmitted slowly.  Why did you have to shatter the window?

I didn't mean to! Biana's mental voice piped up defensively.

"Sandor, I'm sure it's alright... probably just the wind acting up, you know?  It's been pretty... Er... windy lately, don't you think?"  Sophie did a very bad attempt at shivering.  "It's chilly- feel the breeze?"

"It's hotter than this place in the Summer!" Sandor pointed out.  "Hotter than-"

"Hotter than me?" Keefe asked, letting go of Biana's hand as the light flickered through him.  "Hey Gigantor! Miss me already?"

"You-"  Sandor lunged for him but Keefe blinked out of sight, probably grabbing hold of Biana again.  Bo caught her eye and ran over to grab her...

But Keefe had already snatched her hand and pulled her tumbling off of her bed.  The light rushed through her like water and her feet beneath her disappeared...

"Hop out the window!" Sophie screamed.

Biana yanked them through the shattered windowsill and Sophie plunged them into the void, Bo and Sandor still shouting in the distance.