Chapter 8: Evil in many colours. (Part 1)

Saving the damsel in distress, killing giant beasts to protect a town, discovering treasures of a forgotten world. Those were the heroic dreams that I read about! So then why was I stuck babysitting a bunch of teens! Sigh. The first thing we did when we left the palace,

"Wouldn't it be a shame if we didn't explore the city more before we left?" said Carl and thus we spent the whole day looking around a place that was just a few minutes from the palace. Thankfully because we were all dressed up yesterday no one recognised us today. I know it makes sense to have a slow start and take your time but we did the whole goodbye thing and everything was shaping up like we'd hit the road. Instead we're at a small inn on the outskirts of the city. Honestly we might as well have just stayed back in the palace... at least their beds were comfortable.

The biggest problem was the man sitting next to me, eating as if nothing was amiss,

"And why are you still here?" I asked the Knight Captain.

"The King asked me to watch over you till you left." He wasn't wearing any armour and instead plain clothing. If anything it made it all the more obvious that beneath his shirt there existed a body rippling with hardened muscle. Curse you. That type of body was unreachable for me, odd considering who my father was. I looked at Carl, he had bulked up in the past few weeks and was set on the path to look like the Captain. Gary however, I smiled, it was nice having another magic user on the team.

"Why are you smiling at me?" he asked a bit taken aback.

"Because we're teammates."

"What?"

"Ahem," I coughed. "Anyway Captain-,"

"Call me Telius," he interrupted.

"... Telius, do you have any connections to the Adventurer's guild?"

"I do, why?"

"Can you get us some mid or high-ranked passes? B should be fine."

"Well, I can but you'll need to come in person with me."

"That's fine."

Gary pulled my arm from across the table. "Hey, hey, what are you talking about?"

"I was thinking of getting some extra identification. Also it'll allow us to take some jobs. The King gave us some money but that's bound to run out eventually."

"So we're going to become adventurers?" his eyes were shining.

I replied in kind, "Of course! That's what travelling is all about!" We high hived, a gesturethat had caught on between the Heroes and I.

"You two are idiots..." Alicia looked at us and sighed.

Sayuri however was more receptive, "So what do the ranks mean? I heard you saying mid and high before in the palace."

I explained, "The ranks are used to separate ability so people don't take the wrong jobs. Low ranks are G to E, Mid ranks are D to B, and High ranks are A, A+, AA and AA+."

Telius placed his own Adventurer pass on the table, it was AA. "Just so you know the Knights you sparred with were B or A, the Knight Commander from Allain is AA+ but if there were higher ranks he would fit there. Most adventurer's sit around C or B."