Chapter 27: Goodbye (Part 1)

The sun was setting over the mountain behind our home. Before us my father laid in a clear coffin forged by the combined magic of my grandfather and I. It wasn't only the Heroes, Generals or my family's servants but also the leaders of the Human Kingdoms. As a sign of good will they too chose to join us in this hour of mourning. With the war finally over, we could give him the sending off he deserved.

My father looked immaculate. Preserved the way he lived using magic, his eyes were closed to the world but peaceful. I felt my heart twinge in sadness. The Heroes drew closer to me and Sayuri gently touched my arm. My sister clung onto my other arm barely able to hold in her tears.

My grandfather stood in front of the coffin, "Today we say goodbye to the 25th Demon Lord, my son, a father and a husband. Alexander Golden Mane of the Autumn Wind, since his birth he had but one dream, peace for this land and thanks to his efforts we have finally taken the first true steps to his goal. I read now the passage long passed down by our family, 'May your life never grow old for your soul is now free. Do not be saddened by your parting or for those you have left behind, for we uphold your legacy and in that we shall stand tall. Know that your life will always be with us, in our heart, body and mind, for it was through your sacrifice that we may live and live we shall." He sprinkled a fine powder across my father's body, "Goodbye."

All at once we replied, "Goodbye."

Small orbs of light began to shine and float from the coffin. A beautiful spectacle as my father's body began to dissolve where the light touched him. My grandfather whispered the spell calmly but with a melancholic expression. Soon my father was no more but ashes and his heart stone.

"Davarious if you will," he floated them towards me and I took them within my hands. A gold light emitted from my palms as I compressed the ash. Mana ran freely around us, dancing through the ripples of the energy I emitted. It was thick enough for even a normal person to see as the colours swayed around me and condensed into my hands.

With a tired breath I opened them and inside was a golden gem. Inside the gem waves of colour circled around. His body and heart stone had now been merged into one.

"Varry," Terra pulled on my sleeve and I passed her the gem. She clutched it to her chest and cried freely, "I'll miss you dad." Wiping her tears she passed the gem back.

I held it to my own chest, "We'll all miss you." I searched the crowd, "Lisanna you might as well come here."

She had been back with the other human leaders but even with her acting ability, her emotions were clearly on a different level to those around her. With a nod she came forward and took the gem,

"Master..., no, father. I'll make sure to keep our promise. You can leave Varry and Terra to me." She laughed and wiped her eyes, "They need all the care they can get."

She handed me the gem back and I gave it my grandfather. He held the gem with a heartbroken expression,

"You were not meant to leave before me," a tear slipped down his cheek. The funeral was over now. My father's gem would be placed in the hall of memories beside the rest of my family whose lives had been lost.

"Before you all leave I have an announcement," I raised my voice over the crowd. "As some of you may know now, I am no longer the Demon Lord. With my father's death I have lost the rite to be called such." The Heroes widened their eyes in surprise and confusion.