Chapter 11: Journeying. (Part 1)

The question now was what was I doing? The Klerical Kingdom is back in the hands of the right people, which is all well and good but... I'm the Demon Lord.... I won't lie and say that the demon side is all fun and peace, we have our own problems as well. Between the numerous tribes of demons, some who don't really get along very well and among them some being quite elitist and not accepting of cross species demons. Just thinking about it annoyed me. Peace between the humans and demons would be nice of course as my father and grandfather both believed before me, however both sides had factions that hated each other. Now however I was sitting with the King of the Klerical Kingdom and the other Heroes listening to politics.

"Your highness, what are your plans to handle the increase in monster activity. Although no action has come so far it won't be long till the Demons take this advantage to attack us." It was one of the men who had been in the group that had taken advantage of the King. It had been a week since then and positions had been shifted but I still wouldn't trust them entirely. The King however was going with the 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer idea.'

The King sighed and shot a glance at me, "For now till the Demons make a move we will not attack. Have our troops assist in monster subjugations as much as possible."

"But our defences along the border will decrease. In the case of an attack it will take far too long for us to rally the troops."

The King again glanced at me. I avoided his gaze as it would make people suspicious.

The King seeing my reaction turned back to the man, "If it makes you feel better position scouts at the edge of the border. Have them set up an advanced relay."

"Will that be enough?"

"I have it on good authority that the Demons will not be attacking anytime soon."

"Understood, I will pass on your commands," he bowed and left the throne room.

"Commander Montegra is there anyone else?"

The Commander pulled a list from beside her, "Lord Calcifer would like your opinion on this year's harvest spoils. Lady Alana wishes to discuss how to handle the lower aristocracy. Several High Priests would like you to perform a sermon for the people and the list goes on."

"Ugh," The King rolled in his throne, "It was easier when I just let them do as they pleased...."

There was a swift slap as the Commander hit the King with her rolled up list, "I remind you it was because of that thinking which led to our earlier problems. If you wish to retire at least find a suitable replacement."

"Hmmm," the King scratched his chin, "How about you Ruby?"

The Commander was horrified, "Your highness I do not have any royal blood, how could you suggest such a thing."

"Well not really. As you know I never had any children but I did have a few younger siblings. Trace them forward and you'd be surprised where you'd end up," he looked at her suggestively.

"I do not appreciate your jokes. My father was a simple farmer."

"But your mother wasn't," he winked. "If you don't believe me, we can have Davios here ascertain our relation." I was finally called upon but honestly I'd have preferred to observe. The Knight Commander's reactions were fun to watch, I understood why the King liked her. She was capable and fun to mess with.

"That's impossible, mother was... mother was...."

"A mystery," the King finished for her. He took a knife from his pocket and spilt a small dot of his blood onto some paper. "Would you like to check?" he handed her the paper.