Chapter 22: Prelude (Part 2)

Aside: Forced romantics.

Alicia:

While still wearing the fancy clothing the maids had made us wear, we ate breakfast with Dave's family. Our 'hell training', or so Dave called it, would begin after. He didn't tell us the details aside from the fact it was similar to what he had gone through to become Demon Lord. After breakfast we were about to leave to get changed but seeing as the maid's had gone through all the effort to have us dolled up, I felt a little unsatisfied, mostly about a particular matter.

"Then I'll meet you in the courtyard," Dave said and was about to leave but I grabbed him.

"Hang on one moment," I snapped and with my other hand yanked a surprised Sayuri closer.

"A-Alicia what are you doing?" she asked but I ignored her.

"Dave look here!" I pointed her out like a display. "What do you think?"

"I think Sayuri looks wonderful. Although I commend our tailor for creating such a dress, it is her beauty that makes it stand out," he replied completely naturally. "Of course the dress suits you just as well Alicia."

I clicked my tongue and frowned. It wasn't the reaction I was looking for. Dave was much more composed than Gary and Carl could be.

"Then how about here? Or here?" I held Sayuri and pointed out her lightly revealed chest and exposed legs. Sayuri who had already been blushing tried to cover herself but I held her arms firmly to her sides.

"Sayuri there is no need to be shy," he smiled charmingly. "You're beautiful and should be proud of how you look."

"Th-thank you...," she turned away bashfully and I let go. No effect to Dave but an ample reaction from Sayuri. Come to think of it, I could never tell what Dave was thinking. So mysterious. In comparison Carl folded out his heart with just a little bit of prodding.

Dave began to leave the throne room and Sayuri followed closely behind. Damn I wanted to get those two together so badly.

"I see what you're trying to do Hero Alicia," a chuckle resounded behind me.

I jumped in surprise and turned to see Dave's Grandpa. Or at least I was pretty sure it was. Both his father and grandfather didn't look that far apart in age. In fact you could say they would both pass off as men in their early thirties. That's a High Demon for you, but what was his name again? Something about a void....

"It's Quinton," he smiled.

"Sorry," I bowed in apology.

"No worries. However to the matter at hand, what exactly are you trying to do with my grandson?"

"Nothing...."

"Because to me it seems you are trying to pair him off with the other female Hero Sayuri."

"Well I was mostly just trying to get a reaction out of him," I huffed.

"Davarious has been trained for many years to become the Demon Lord. Training that involves politics and speech craft. You won't be able to break his mask with an attack at that level."

"So it is a mask!" I clapped my hands together.

"Of course it is. No young male could readily ignore a beauty like your friend. A pretty dress and some exposure will only be able to make him slip for a second before he catches his composure."