Chapter 19: Doubts and Decisions. (Part 1)

Sayuri:

I rolled over in my sleep. I wasn't sure where I was but it felt comfortable. I was warm and protected and an almost nostalgic feeling of safety washed inside me. Then the noise of the world began to infiltrate my ears and push me awake.

"Sayuri?" a voice called.

I opened my eyes. I was lying down somewhere and in front of me bright red hair. The Demon Lord! I jumped back in shock reaching for my katana which I couldn't find.

"Whoa careful you're still not okay yet," he reached out towards me. He was kneeling. Had I been lying on his lap? My vision started to become clearer and the red hair shifted to brown with light blue roots.

"Dave?" I asked confused.

"Yeah that's me. Are you alright?" he stood up.

"I feel... I feel a bit sick." Did I just think Dave was the Demon Lord? Looking at his face now... they really were similar.

"Sorry I didn't mean to surprise you." He looked away, "Gary you said she'd like that. She clearly didn't."

"No I think Sayuri enjoyed that lap pillow a little too much," Gary laughed in reply. So I really had been sleeping on his lap... my face began to heat up. "See, look at her blush."

"Ugh," my heard hurt again.

"Sayuri hold on," Alicia held me up.

"Thanks, but where are we?" I looked around. We were in a large room overlooking the ocean. From the view it didn't seem like we were still in the Elder Council chamber.

"We're in the headquarters for the Lord's faction," Carl replied. "After you were taken out, the Lord's faction came. Apparently the Purist were convicted of treason to the Demon Lord and now their whole faction is crumbling. Because we were directly involved in fighting we were taken here by order of the Dragonkin General."

"I was taken out?" my head started to hurt again.

"What's the last thing you can remember?" Dave asked gently from beside me.

"I remember... I remember seeing the Demon Lord. You weren't there, then the Grand Elder was going to kill you so I charged and then.... I see, so I lost. Dave did you heal me?"

"I did," he nodded guiltily.

"Thank you. It's not your fault I rushed in." I tried to smile despite my pounding head, "I should have been more careful."

"No, I shouldn't have bought you with me," he shook his head. "I put your lives in danger when it didn't concern you. Sayuri you almost died because of me."

Carl replied before I could, "Dave like Sayuri said it's not your fault. We wanted to be there for Mr Draft. The fact that the Demon Lord came wasn't something we could predict. Just, next time don't go run off on your own like that."

Gary nodded, "Yeah, from what I heard you beat the Grand Elder but lost when the rest of them showed up. Sad to say but we really owe the Demon Lord for saving you."

"That's because he didn't recognise us," I said bitterly. "If he had, he probably would have finished the job instead." I looked around the room again, "Where's Mr Draft?"