Chapter 26: The Hero, The Heroes and The Demon Lord. (Part 2)

Sayuri:

For an entire week none of us had seen Dave. We heard from Lisanna about what happened to his father but no matter how we tried to get into contact with him, we couldn't. Right when he needed us the most, none of us were there. I felt useless. If we had been able to defeat the Empire's Hero none of this would have happened.

The war was still ongoing but our progress had sharply declined. According to the plan as the Empire retreated and they called for reinforcements, we were meant to launch a surprise attack with our strongest to capture their commanders. But when the news came the Demons just stopped. Their armies held place, not moving or letting anyone pass. Without them the human Kingdoms were forced to change their plans and carefully advance.

The others and I were kept from the battlefield. All the Kingdoms leader's agreed to spare us from the horrors of war. Of course we tried to refuse but Lisanna was the one who forced it. She was working the hardest of them all. Alicia and I caught her crying once in the hallway with only Gilda to comfort her. To her Dave's father was her father. I could only imagine how Dave felt. Was he sad or angry? Maybe he was both but we didn't know.

The week passed in a daze as we helped track down the Empire's remnants hiding away. Our armies pushed them beyond the border and into the Country of Iron. Yesterday they reached the Capital where the Miltis Empire would hold their final stand. The two sides now stared at each other across an untouched field as their armies stood forebodingly. It was strange, even with everything happening, we all felt disconnected from the world.

Tomorrow would be the hopeful final day but for now, Gary, Carl, Alicia and I, we stood in a circle devoid of life. The place where Dave's father died. The trees had withered black and the grass had all but turned to dust. The dirt was crisp without moisture and the air was uncomfortably stale. We had seen the explosion in the sky but this was our first time seeing the actual place. It was almost a perfect circle of death, crossing over hundreds of metres.

Carl bent down and touched the earth, "It's like the life was sucked from it."

"Just what happened here?" Gary sighed and we made our way closer to the centre.

In the centre a giant slab of stone had been plunged into the earth. On it, in jagged writing words were carved.

"'Let no life live where my father has fallen. A curse soon to spread to those who have wronged me'," I read it slowly and a chill crossed my back. These were Dave's words.

"After all this is over, no matter what, we'll see him again," Alicia clenched her fists, "Even if we have to break down the doors."

"There is no need for that," the new voice caused us all to jump. We turned around in time to see a fay man dressed as a butler. "Greetings once more Heroes."

"Sebastian!?" Gary exclaimed.

My heart quickened in apprehension, "Is Dave okay? What happened, can we see him?"

"Please calm yourselves," he smiled sadly. "Master Davarious is... fine. Our time of mourning has come to pass and he invites you to the castle once more."

"Now?" Carl asked hopefully.

"Yes now. He wishes to see you before the battles end," he held out his arms, "If you could please come closer, I will take you to him."

The four of us nodded and without hesitating stepped towards him. A light flash around us and the world began to shift. The black grove we had been in vanished, replaced with the hallway outside the throne room. The door was shut and the lights had been dimmed. I looked around timidly, it was like we'd never been here before. Although it looked the same, the usual life of the castle was gone.