Chapter 25: The Miltis Empire (Part 3)

Chapter 25: The Miltis Empire (Part 2)

Aside: Our old teacher.

Carl:

The war meeting went on for several hours all the while reports and commands were sent to the frontlines as the Miltis Empire continued their assault. The tension in the room was palpable as the leaders of the continent new that making a mistake now could lead to the end of their freedom. Dave never put his mantle back on. It wasn't just to make the other leaders more comfortable but us Heroes as well. My most memorable times with him wearing the mantle weren't the best, mostly it being beaten by him during our 'training'.

I didn't really understand what they were talking about but stayed nonetheless. Occasionally Gary would offer a suggestion but Sayuri and Alicia had blank expressions as they stared at the map in the centre of the room. There was talk about troop movements, the lands layout, enemy fortifications, military capacity... it was a bit too much for me right now. I had never played a real time strategy game and something like this was far beyond that in difficulty. Lives were on the line.

Finally the meeting ended well into the evening. The Miltis Empire had begun their invasion almost 20 hours prior. While the time didn't seem like much, they were advancing victory after victory through territory that had little in defence. The exact plan wasn't fully founded yet but a defensive line had been formed. With Dave's help the border troops were reassigned to the front line and at the same time General Grim-tooth was leading a small strike on the enemy to 'inform' them of Dave's reply. The General didn't have enough soldiers to hold a proper assault but it would divert their attention and ease things for the Klerical Kingdom and Elsbeth.

"Heroes, the chambers you used during your earlier visit are available for you," Knight Commander Montegra lightly bowed towards us as we stood to leave, "Please rest, we have much to do tomorrow."

"Thank you very much," I replied and turned to Dave who was still hunched over the table with a narrowed expression. "Dave are you coming with us?"

"Not yet. I have some questions," he scratched his chin in thought and mumbled something I couldn't hear. We had a distinct disadvantage in this war. The attack came as a surprise and the Kingdom's armies were spread too far. With a joint effort they were barely able to stop their momentum. For one, the Miltis Empire had a greater amount of soldiers here then the humans or demons. The second and bigger problem was the three major towns they had captured near the border. Two in the Klerical Kingdom and one in Elsbeth. They would surely be holding them hostage.

Our job as Heroes was to infiltrate and liberate the largest town that also happened to be the furthest into the enemy territory. The other two would be handled by the Queen of Rentolt's elite knights along with some of the Knight Commanders. I could tell why Dave had given us this job. It was something we four could do alone and better than anyone else but it was also the most merciful. If we had been sent to the front lines against row upon row of enemy soldiers... there was no way we could be lenient and try spare their lives. None of us had killed anyone.... If it was a question of whether I could or couldn't, I would be able to do it. If it was for Dave and the people of this land I'd do it, but at the same time I feel like I'd lose something if that ever happened. Gary, Sayuri and especially Alicia... I didn't want them to have to kill anyone. Dave was looking out for us while still using us to our full potential. It just hurt that I couldn't do much more for him.

I followed the others out of the war room and into the corridor. We didn't make it far till a familiar presence stopped us.

"Heroes, can we talk?" Captain Rafhound stood in our way. It suddenly became awkward. This was the guy who trained us initially and built our foundations yet each of us knew we were stronger than him now. Not only that but I had been in direct confrontation with him earlier.