Chapter 8: Evil in many colours. (Part 3)

Breakfast included conspicuous amounts of various meats and unsurprisingly our waitress today was not Delilah. Halfway through our meal however,

"Umm Carlton?" Delilah called to him almost shyly.

"Y-yes!" Carl jittered but still looked at her with a somewhat straight face.

"I'm sorry about last night," Delilah bowed embarrassed.

"N-no problem. Enjoy your day...."

And that was disappointingly all. Sayuri and Alicia were confused but through an agreement with Carl earlier, last night's mishaps would never be talked about again.

We left the inn to explore the town. It was still early in the morning and by our schedule we had until about midday till we should leave. As I was in charge of money the Heroes looked to me expectantly. They had been taught the value of things already so it should be fine, though I'd still need to look out for them. I handed them all a small pouch like I had given to Carl last night. Originally Carl had already taken his share but because of the entertainment factor I decided to give him more.

Pranx had a population in the low hundreds and was mainly a farming community. It wasn't a key destination for merchants to pass through but due to some larger towns being around the area and Elsbeth State being close by it still had a decent amount of visitors. As such one would expect the townsfolk to be quite lively, however as we walked the streets it was the opposite. The townsfolk avoided the traveling merchants selling their goods but those who ran stores were insistent to sell theirs. The worse part was the atmosphere, there was a strained desperation hanging in the air and throughout it hopelessness.

The Heroes and I came to a general store. My arm was tugged and when I looked down a small girl with pleading eyes was staring at me,

"Mister would you like to buy some flowers?"

I smiled softly, "See that man there," I pointed to Carl, "I bet he'd buy some flowers."

She nodded enthusiastically and did the same act to Carl. He immediately bought them all. The fact that they were simple wild flowers you could pick up outside of town didn't even matter at all. Sigh, I'd really have to watch how much money I gave him.

"What!? This price is outrageous," Alicia complained to the store owner. She was holding up a kitchen knife. On the other hand compared to Carl we had someone else who was a bit too keen to bargain.

"Metal prices are up at the moment," the salesman replied. "I'm sorry but any cheaper and I won't be able to live."

"No way! Halve it."

"H-half? I'm sorry miss but that won't do."

Before Alicia could supply a counter offer Sayuri stepped in, "Excuse me, how about if I buy this. Would you give us the knife for half?" She was holding a hair tie. I was surprised at how well made it looked. The price was still way over what it should be.

"Ah, I guess I can do that."

Sayuri smiled and paid for the items. As soon as she did I noticed a slimy presence behind us. It was Mr Parcel the town's loaner. He was being followed by the same men as last night. The little girl who sold Carl flowers blanched and ran off at full speed. The store owner's fists tightened.

"Mr Harner, as I told you yesterday, interest has increased. Now do you have the money or not?" he spoke to the store owner and completely ignored us.