Chapter 123: Woman to Woman (EP. 02)

"He told you to approach me, didn't he?

Elsa chuckled nervously and shook her head, "It was actually Anna, Mama Helena. But he did encourage me before." She fondled with the ribbons of her robe in anxiety. It's been five minutes since she first stared at her feet, which was causing a lot of frost to crawl down on the floor. What's the point of hiding her shyness again?

Helena paused for a second before giggling uncontrollably, "Come on, darl, I don't bite. Relax a little bit."

Elsa smiled bashfully and nodded, her hand holding her forearm shyly. She relaxed her tense position and breathed heavily, "I don't speak much with you, so, I'm just really nervous and jumpy."

The former queen beamed at her reassuringly, "I think the last time I spoke about you was in the last letter I gave to Aiden— uh, well, the last letter I told Magoo to give to my son."

The fifth spirit's blue eyes sparkled in realization. "Oh.. that."

Helena looked away awkwardly, "Indeed. I take it that you have read every word?"

"I have," Elsa replied as she played with her hand. Helena glanced at her and gave her daughter in law a smile that held overflowing gratitude. When it was the moment she least expected, the older woman took the ice queen's right hand, clasping it in hers tightly. Elsa stiffened at the sudden action.

"Elsa, dear," She began, "Now that I have the chance to speak with you, I just want to say how grateful I am that my son had met you. I am saying this as a woman, and as a mother of a boy who once thought that life wasn't worth living."

Oh my.

"He used to be so emotionless. Less expressive. Less... Joyful. That oath he took when he was eight wore him off, combined with the pressure of how Abaddon mercilessly trained him to be his replacement. Which Aiden didn't really want to be."

Elsa frowned at the mention of the prisoner just underneath their feet, which was the dungeons.

"At first, I thought it was depression. But I soon discovered that he was desperately hiding everything behind his back, which made him really vulnerable when he gets reminded of a bad experience. He wasn't like that when he was a child."

Elsa smiled.

"He would cry when he was five, from time to time, but not often. But as he grew up, he discovered how cruel his surroundings can be... And it broke him. And I couldn't do anything about it, even though I want to."

I really, really wanted to.

"B-but the letters he kept sending me as he spent his first two weeks here," Helena smiled tearfully, "They were nothing but filled with the feelings I missed seeing him feel. He told me how seeing you can easily put a smile on his face. And when I heard the news that you two were engaged," Helena sniffled, "I was the happiest woman alive."

Elsa fought the urge to cry at the gratitude she was receiving, heck, she was already shaking.

"I just don't know," Helena laughed, wiping her tears with a handkerchief, "To love is a wonderful thing. Even though you can't be loved back. Just love as if there's no more tomorrow."

Elsa just looked at her husband's mother in complete awe, her mind repeating the quote Helena unintentionally said, since she didn't want to forget. Helena's words were too beautiful to forget.

"What I'm trying to say is," Helena chuckled, "You make him really, really happy. And for that, you're also making me, happy. You gave him a second chance at life without even knowing that you did," She guffawed, holding her heart in delight, "And, I'm sorry we don't speak much. I'm not much of a social— you know what I mean."