Chapter 174: Achroous (EP. 05)

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗

𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞 - 𝐋𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐥𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫.

╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

"The Stricosus Effect?"

Helena nods sharply as a reply, "The word Stricosus means featureless, colorless.. Achromatic. This Latin adjective alone already shows a fore warning of the symptoms Aiden all possesses in his current condition. The Stricosus Effect is very much like what depression in reality really is... perhaps, it's just the way anyone may see it. But you and I already know it is not as simple as it is described."

Elsa unclasped her hands apart and couldn't help but look down on her feet, the possibility of sustaining her wavering high hopes suddenly shrinking. As expected, she would never think of her husband as someone so weak to be consulted with a severe illness like this.

Aiden can have his way with a blade, with close hand-to-hand combat, through honing his demi-godlike ability to protect and attack in many distinct methods, even so battling the inescapable invitation of death whenever that dreadful moment visits him...

Yet, when it comes to his feelings, his fervor emotions... Once striked, it will wreck him far harder than it should.

Aiden indeed subconsciously tried to hurt her, way back before...

... With all those thoughts uniting and gathering, especially in a situation like this, each one just makes her feel so disgusted with herself that she have completely hurt him. If fate does exist, then... Fate have turned the tables drastically.

Purposely knocking her fist on the desk to catch the ice queen's attention, Helena began to dictate the main content. "As you are already aware of, this illness's most visible effects are the grey eyes and the distinguishable lifeless behavior. Unfortunately, those are just the tip of the ice berg. You see... Getting infected with this sickness includes... The transferring of the affected one's consciousness to his own imaginary void."

Elsa's eyes widened. "V-void?"

"I've studied this before, and I'm sure I can explain it correctly. I'll simplify it for you. As long as Aiden has this illness, he will be unable to feel a single emotion. Even the worst wrath of pain, not one sting he can feel. To put it figuratively... He's existing-but he's not living. I'm certain you know what I meant."

"... What of this 'void, mama Helena?"

"Ah, right. The main gash. Right now as we speak, Aiden's separated from the real world and he's stuck in one of his own. According to what I've researched in the Tower of Tomes years ago, as said by an interviewed pureblood who have experienced this and have luckily recovered, this illusionary world's setting he have crafted when he has the illness can change depending on his command."

"Example?"

"A place where the season of Spring lasts forever. A dying garden in winter. Anything, whatever the Ignaeran wishes," Helena shrugged.

Silence.

"I've always wondered... Why did this happen just now?"

Elsa's body stiffened and tensed at the relatively bitter question, finding it very difficult to respond to as she nervously fumbled with her hands.

"The tragic feeling of being brought to the world just to become a pawn in this nonexistent battle. The pressure of someone's expectations in order to be a heartless replacement... Seeing his parents always claw at each other's throats... wasn't all that more than enough to do this to him?"