[06]

To say that Irina Luthor was merely disturbed would be an understatement. She had gotten into an argument with her father the day Tim had resigned from LexCorp and ever since then she hadn't even seen him.

She was worried that she had blown her only chance at having a good relationship with her father. But Miss Gibson, the Luthor Mansion's caretaker, had assured her that Lex was probably a bit too busy. And also that he would have forgotten about their argument long ago. Her aunt had told her the same

And deep down, she hoped what they had said was true. Because after twenty two years, she had finally found a common ground with her father and their relationship had begun to improve. She didn't want to let all her effort go into waste by disagreeing with him again.

She was rechecking some data in her office when her phone's notification beeped. Looking down, she saw it was a text from her father, much to her surprise.

Your assistance is needed. Come down to my lab immediately.

As always the message was vague but she wrapped up her work and stepped out, taking the elevator that went down to Lex's confidential labs. Not even the staff was allowed to enter there, only a select few members of LexCorp were given a special card that they swiped before entering.

Irina swiped her card at the entrance and the glass doors slid open, allowing her to step inside. Lex's lab was a vast area of wondrous technological advancement. It seemed like paradise to anyone who had an interest for inventing and innovation.

Recently Lex Luthor had been working on a top secret project, the details of which he hadn't even shared with Irina. All she knew was that he called her down only when the system malfunctioned and he needed her to reset it. 

She was quite good at reformatting software and effectively ran the diagnostics, figuring out the problem in need of solving much faster than any of his team members. So he couldn't leave her out of the project though he made sure to still keep it as much under cover as possible.

"Morning Dad," she remarked as she stepped into the central area of the lab where he was working. She too had put on the protective gear which was required since the work going on focused mostly on robotics and there was a chance of getting electrocuted if something went wrong.

He nodded in acknowledgement, not looking away from the screens that displayed the diagnostics of his technosuit. 

"What's wrong?"

"It keeps getting short circuited," he replied vaguely, "today was the fifth test operation. Failed again."

"Let me see," her green eyes took in the information displayed on the screens regarding the electric circuits installed in the suit, "can we open it up again and check these two areas?"

She had pointed towards the areas marked B5 and K89.

"Right," he ordered his team to set up the suit for examination, carefully scrutinizing as Irina checked the system.

"Seems like the weaponry units are causing trouble," she remarked after thoroughly examining it, "is it necessary to include the fire blasts and sonic gun inside? I mean... What are you intending to do with this?"

"It is absolutely necessary," his jaw had clenched slightly as he replied, "you must figure out a solution without removing the weaponry units."

"But Dad..."

"You agreed not to ask any questions about my projects," he stated firmly, averting his gaze from her, "I will not interfere in your department and you will not interfere in mine."

At his remark, Irina's eyes widened a little at the hypocrisy, because Lex totally had interfered with her department once before by threatening Tim to hand in his resignation. But she chose to remain silent because the other team members were there too and she didn't wish to create a spectacle in front of everyone.

"Fine," she focused down on the suit, "run the diagnostics on W41."

"You will not remove the weaponry units," he repeated.

"But I am allowed to check what's wrong with them, right?" Irina looked up at him, "it's either this or the suit will catch fire upon the next test operation."

She remained silent as she checked the other parts of the suit as well, knowing that Lex was not going to agree with whatever she would say to him then. She was still suspicious about the reason behind the creation of such a suit though she did not say it aloud.

She fixed up a few of the circuits that were causing trouble but knew that without removing the weaponry units, a full guarantee could not be given of its safe operation.

When she was leaving the lab, Lex stopped her right before she was going to step into the elevator.

"Irina, wait."

She was a bit surprised but complied, turning around to face him.

"You do understand that if I'm not letting you know the details of this project, it doesn't mean that I don't trust you," he spoke up in a calm and collected voice though his words only contributed more to her shock, "this project is confidential. I am not supposed to take anyone else's help on it. But I know you are much better than me at this stuff."

Her eyes had widened and not a word escaped her lips as she allowed him to resume.

"Just know that if I'm not telling you, it's for your own betterment."

She stood speechless for a moment until she finally recovered from the shock, "oh... I understand."

"And I am grateful for your help," a faint smile flickered on his face for a very short instant before his features lapsed into the familiar emotionless look. 

"It's okay, Dad," she managed a smile on her face as well, "anytime."

He was about to go back when he paused as if he had just remembered something, "oh and ask Lena to come over for this weekend. It's been long since we all spent some family time together."

Every passing minute was shocking her more and more because she had never ever expected her father to behave like that. Her brain was warning her that something was dreadfully wrong while her heart was arguing against it, justifying that maybe Lex had decided to make up for all the estrangement in the past.

She stepped into the elevator after he had left but her wind was whirring with a thousand questions. Not knowing what to do next, she took out her phone and dialed Lena's number. At least talking to her aunt would relieve a bit of her confusion.

***