[17]

Tim's room was a mess as usual but even messier were his thoughts as he sat on the floor with his back leaning against the bedpost as he held his head in his hands. The words he had spoken to her not much long ago tormented him and internally he was devastated.

He had never meant for things to come to that level. But there had been no other way left. He had to put a stop to her involvement with the case or else she could get hurt much worse. And the fact that her own father was most probably behind it did not make things any easier.

The door to his room opened and Irina stepped in but he had not looked up at her. Seeing him thus worried her as she sat down beside him, gently reaching out to touch his arm, "Tim, are you okay?"

Willing himself to act normal in front of her, he looked up at last but his eyes were panicked and his heartbeat wasn't the steady rhythm she was so accustomed to hearing. "I am now," he replied, smiling slightly but it did not reach up to his blue eyes for his mind was still in a state of conflict.

She had noticed the change in his outlook and her brow furrowed in concern, "what happened?" 

"Nothing," he gently entwined her hand through hers, "are you alright?"

She paused before telling him because it didn't seem as if he was in the condition to listen to her troubles but he squeezed her hand reassuringly and straightened, silently letting her know that he wanted her to share it with him.

"Red Robin's been such a fucking asshole today," she breathed out at last, her head resting upon his shoulder, "you won't believe all that he said to me tonight."

He sighed; of course he could not believe how he himself had said all those hurtful words to her. And it was gnawing at his heart, making him feel terribly guilty. "What did he say to you?"

"There's a case he has been working on related to a technology heist," she resumed, "remember the group that had broken into the GIT and then Wayne Tech as well? He and Red Hood were working on tracking out the main suspect behind it. Well, I think that after GIT and Wayne Tech, their next target could be LexCorp and Dad had already been so worried that it only led to me assuming that the case is connected to him."

He let her continue with her assumption and did not interrupt her, hoping he would find something via their conversation as well.

"So I asked Hood if I could join him on investigating that case and everything had been going fine until now... But tonight I met both Hood and Red Robin and he does not want me to be on the case anymore."

He mumbled almost as if in a feeble attempt to justify his own act, "there must be a reason to that, right?" 

"He somehow found out that I had tracked most of the suspects and investigated them on my own. He was furious about that and he made me realize that the Bat vigilantes are the only ones responsible for Gotham city and Outsiders like me should not interfere where they are not needed."

The bitterness in her tone sliced through his heart and he took a deep breath to compose himself for he could not let her suspect anything, "that's a low blow."

"He thinks he can threaten me and ridicule me into staying away from this case but I am so going to prove him wrong."

At that moment he knew that if he didn't handle the situation, it would become even worse so he gently cupped her face in his hands, looking straight into her marble green irises, "Irina, tell me truthfully, all those times when you got hurt in this week... Was it because of this case?"

"Yes but..."

He gently interrupted her, his finger resting upon her lips, "hear me out first, please."

She nodded at last allowing him to resume.

"I don't know why Red Robin does not want you involved with this case but what I do know is that it is extremely dangerous for you," he spoke softly, trying his best to make her understand, "if something happened to you... I would not be able to bear it."

She leaned into his touch, eyes looking at him fondly, "Tim, nothing will happen to me. I can take care of myself very well."

"I know but... I worry for you."

She sighed but then took in the genuine concern in his eyes and asked, "is that why you've been in such a mess lately?"

He admitted truthfully, "yes. Please leave this case."

Her hands fastened upon his wrists and she gently stroked the skin underneath her fingers, "my sweet Timbelina, trust me. I am not in any danger. This case is very important to me and I can not turn back now after all that I have found."

His eyes flickered in concern realizing that there was possibly no other way he could make her back off, "Ren, I trust you. But I also know that these people are way worse than what you face regularly on the city streets. They are criminals with a deeply rooted agenda and will not back off instead they will take out every single person who stands in their way." 

Her brow furrowed as a small frown took over her features and she brought his hands down from her face, "so you're saying that the Bat vigilantes can deal with them but I can't?"

He shook his head, "that's not what I meant. The Bat vigilantes are a group but you are on your own. You are at more risk."

"I can handle it," her reply was still rather resolute.

Seeing the determination raging in those fiery green eyes, he sighed in resignation but made one last attempt, "Ren please... I can't bear to lose you."

She gently caressed his cheek and kissed him softly before standing up, "and I can't bear to lose my father either. I have found him after such a long time and this group threatens his safety. I will do whatever I can to ensure that I don't lose him once again."

He was torn within unable to decide whether he should tell her that the man she was risking her life to protect was in fact the mastermind behind all the chaos. He wanted to stop her but knew it would be futile for she had already made up her mind.

Yet his blue eyes were focused on her retreating figure and after she had gone, his head dropped on his hands again as he internally cursed himself for screwing up once again.

There was no way he could keep Irina safe from the dangers she was willingly stepping into.

And all due to her father who was not worth such genuine concern.

He knew she would one day or another find out about Lex as she would probe further into the case and it would break her. Either way she was bound to get hurt.

And there was nothing he could do about it.

Timothy Drake had never felt so helpless his entire life and the fact tore him up from the inside. He knew only chaos awaited him and Irina and there was no way for him to stop the cyclone of disaster that was about to strike.

***