[28]

It was way past midnight when Irina's phone rang, waking her up. She picked it up immediately so that Tim won't get disturbed by the ringtone but was surprised to see Tim's contact flashing on the screen.

She switched the lights on and saw that he was awake but something wasn't right.

"Tim, what happened?" She stood beside his bed and took his hand in hers.

"I didn't want to disturb you but... It's hurting. A lot."

Concern dashed on her features as she spoke, "wait, let me call someone. There must be a night doctor here, right?"

His grip on her hand tightened, "I think... There's something wrong with the stitches."

Since he hadn't let go of her hand, she unfastened the buttons of the loose hospital shirt he had been wearing from the other hand, cautiously removing the fabric from his torso.

There on his chest were deep cuts that were stitched together. And seeing those cuts pained her a lot, knowing that she had been the one who inflicted those upon him.

Apparently the stitches were in place and he wasn't bleeding, unlike what she had feared initially. But she was still adamant on calling a doctor. "I'll just be back, okay? The doctor would know what to do."

Shortly afterwards she returned with a doctor who carefully examined the wounds as well as checked the stitches.

"There's nothing to worry about," the doctor explained to her after thoroughly checking him, "we had to reduce the painkiller dosage gradually so that's why he isn't as numb to the pain as he was before. As for the stitches since they are used to sew the wound, it causes contraction in the skin so it would hurt occasionally. And Mister Drake will have to put up with it since we can't give him too much painkillers or else it would have an adverse effect on his kidneys."

"So it will hurt but that's kinda expected?" Tim asked.

"Yes, Mister Drake. You needn't worry about the stitches though. Those are perfectly in place."

"Thank you so much, Doctor," Irina spoke as he left.

After she had closed the door, she came back towards Tim, standing right beside him, "does it hurt really bad?"

"I'll be fine."

"How long have you been suppressing it inside you?" She asked knowing full well what his answer would be.

He shrugged, "I don't know exactly. But you were asleep and I didn't want to disturb you."

She sighed as she took his hand in hers, "Tim, if I hadn't wanted to be disturbed then I wouldn't be here. You should have told me earlier."

He gently squeezed her hand in reassurance, "Its alright. It's not like it would have made any difference. You heard Dr Evans, they can't do anything about the pain and I'll just have to get accustomed to it."

"I'm so sorry..." She had lowered her green eyes and her voice was hushed but he heard her anyway.

Even though he had asked her not to feel guilty about it, still it was difficult for her to see him in pain and knowing that it was her fault.

But he held her hand close and his grip tightened, "please... Don't say that or else it will be more painful."

She gently brushed his hair back from his face, hand lingering on his forehead as she stroked it soothingly, "try and go to sleep, okay? Whenever I couldn't sleep, Aunt Lena used to stroke my head like that. Trust me, it works."

"Sit down. I don't want you to keep standing for long."

She did as he said and pushed the chair closer to him, still stroking his head gently.