[16]

The rooftop at Wayne Plaza was at the moment a whirlwind of chaos due to the argument raging on between the two brothers. The red and black costume as well as the scarlet helmet gleamed in the dim light as Red Robin and Red Hood stood face to face.

"I warned you not to drag her into this," Red Robin spoke, his voice firm and indicating that he was suppressing anger, "I told you she would get hurt and then I will hold you accountable for it."

"Oh come on Babybird," the muffled drawl reached him, "I did not give her any task that would get her hurt. All I had asked her was to tell me if there was someone at LexCorp bearing the same tattoo as the one on our suspect and she handed in a list. That's all."

Red Robin's jaw clenched as he turned away from him, trying his extreme best to keep his anger at level, "Hood, do you honestly believe she would just stop at that? Did you really think she would do nothing with the information herself?"

"She's not against us," he remarked stubbornly.

"But either way she gets endangered!" His voice had risen to an alarming pitch, "she doesn't tell me what she's up to but she comes home wounded. Do you honestly think I would ignore it all just because I have to keep up a facade in front of her? Just because of this vigilante business that we're in? No. I can't see her hurt and if in order to ensure that I might have to blow up this cover, I will."

Red Hood was shaking his head in disappointment because he could understand his brother's concern but was also judging the rifts his decision were going to create, "don't do anything stupid, please. The old man will not be so lenient on us this once."

"Batman can not tell me what I should do if my girlfriend's life is at stake. I'll take the decisions myself," he spoke through gritted teeth.

Red Hood saw the very familiar spark of rebellion in the younger one which he always prided himself on but at that time, it only made him get worried. "In case you are forgetting, your girlfriend is every bit as capable as you are of taking care of her own self."

However, the two were interrupted by the sound of someone else climbing up as well and turned to see Ren in her vigilante suit. She had just climbed the rooftop but there was still a fair possibility that she could have heard their conversation.

"Sorry for barging in guys. I just saw something red up here so dropped by to check," she spoke, smiling a little, "did I miss something?"

"Of course not," Red Hood replied, "actually it's great that you showed up, me and Red were just talking about you."

"Really?"

Red Robin spoke up, "Hood told me you've been assisting him in the GIT case."

"Yup," she nodded, "and he had also told me you were handling the case mainly but I do not prefer working with you so..."

Contrary to what she expected, Red Robin neither retaliated with a remark nor smiled. Instead his tone was firm as he spoke, "stay out of it."

"But I'm working with Hood, you can't tell me to stay out of anything," that once her tone also missed the playful edge and was slightly intimidating.

He took in a deep breath, assessing his words in his head for he knew it was not going to be anywhere near easy for him to say it out loud to her. But he had to or else he would be taking a much greater risk, "I can and I will tell you to stay out of it. The case is assigned to me and I do not require any assistance from you whatsoever. In fact, I would not be letting Hood continue working alongside me if that's what it takes to get you off this case."

"Hey..." Red Hood seemed quite offended but he chose to ignore it.

Ren had no idea what had ticked Red Robin off so bad. True, she did not like him because he had always been an annoying little flirt but he had never been that cold towards her before, "what is wrong with you?"

"No you tell me what is wrong with you," he snapped, "who the hell do you think you are going after suspects yourself, interrogating them and also getting involved in fights because of them? You have already caused me enough trouble by meddling with my case, now stay away or you will pay for it."

"Who do I think I am?" Her eyes were blazing in rage though the mask hid it from view, "I'm a vigilante just like you people and all I do is make sure the city remains safe, like you do. We are not on opposing sides."

"We are Bat vigilantes while you are an Outsider. The responsibility of this city belongs to us not you," Red Robin remarked calmly though the words churned his heart as they escaped past his mouth.

The words had cut her to the core as well and her lips pursed together in a small frown. Red Robin himself knew exactly what she was going through and deep inside he was cursing himself for making her feel so terrible but there was no other way.

"Red Robin, watch your tongue!" Hood tried to rebuke him because he too was getting quite anxious by the twist of events. He knew the conflict Tim was going through at the moment would eat him alive from the inside and yet as Red Robin he was not in any mood to back off any sooner.

"Stay the fuck out of this. I know what I'm doing," he glared at him then turned his gaze towards Ren, "we are not on opposing sides but if you don't stop interfering with my cases then we will be."

The threat conveyed through his words and she felt like punching him in the face then and there. But he didn't leave enough time for it as he descended the roof, leaving both Ren and Red Hood over there as he himself went back to the Bat Cave.

"What the fucking hell was that?" Ren's foot collided hard with the roof's deck, "who is he to go around threatening me and telling me what I should or should not do?"

Red Hood knew his partner had made him get stuck in a catch 22 situation. Nevertheless he tried to calm her down, "hey, don't take his words to heart. He doesn't know half of what he says."

"It's not that easy, Hood. Did you hear all the bullshit he told me just about now? Did you... An Outsider? How dare he speak to me like that?"

Though the helmet was disguising Red Hood's face, deep down Jason was terrified to see her so angry. "Ren, go home and cool off first then think this through. Red Robin did not mean to be so harsh."

"Harsh? He has been downright insulting!" Her jaw clenched due to the wave of fury coursing through her veins, "and if he thinks he can scare me into leaving this case, then he is clearly wrong."

He gently grabbed her by the shoulders in an attempt to calm her down, "Ren, please... Go home and talk this out with someone who understands you. You are not thinking straight at the moment and neither was Red Robin. Just cool off your temper then decide what you want to do next."

Her mind drifted towards Tim and she considered whether or not to tell him about it. He was the only one who could understand her situation clearly and she knew that talking to him would be the sensible option instead of burning Red Robin to ashes.

"Ren, you've done brilliant helping me out with this case and I appreciate everything you went through due to it," he made one last attempt in a soft reassuring tone, "but for the time being please keep a low profile. Leave this case."

"I can't leave the case. It has much more to do with me than any of you realizes," he let out a deep breath, knowing that he was right, "Hood, you're a great friend and all but I don't think I'll be taking your advice this once."

He nodded for he had no other option left, "alright. Do what you think best but first take your time in cooling down. Please don't make any rash decisions."

She understood his concern and a small smile flickered on her face, "thanks for backing me up, Hood. I will definitely talk this out first and then take the decision."

"Good," he replied, "thank you."

***